The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/17/2016 4:45 am  #1

'Worst' charity for veterans

'Worst' charity for veterans run by VA employee

Washington (CNN)At first glance, the National Vietnam Veterans Foundation is a roaring success. According to its tax filings, the charity has received more than $29 million in donations from generous Americans from 2010 to 2014 for what it calls on its website "aiding, supporting and benefiting America's veterans and their families."

But look a little closer on those same filings and you can see that nearly all of those donations have been cycled back to telemarketers, leaving less than 2 percent for actual veterans and veterans' charitable causes.

That's why Charity Navigator, one of the nation's largest and most influential charity watchdog organizations, has given the charity a "zero" out of four stars for those same four years.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/16/politics/vietnam-veterans-charity/index.html

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/17/2016 6:09 am  #2

Re: 'Worst' charity for veterans

It's not a charity.  It's a business, pure and simple.

5/17/2016 7:05 am  #3

As a veteran, specifically a Vietnam veteran, I find this kind of organization despicable. One has to wonder how all these organizations that advertise that they exist to benefit veterans in one way or another are allowed to call themselves charities.
I know they prey upon the conscience of people who believe veterans deserve something better than they have other than the old "thanks for your service" comment on Veterans Day . . . guilt maybe, because 98% of the population never served . . . but why not make sure the VA provides ALL the necessary facilities/services/care/help to serve those who have served. That won't cost you anything more that a phone call, letter, or e-mail to your senator & congressman . . . Everyone contributes through their tax dollars.
I know, I know . . . Somebody is going to say that the VA is more corrupt, screwed up, and wastes more dollars than any of these pseudo charities, but it doesn't have to be that way and should not be that way. Fix it and organizations like the National Vietnam Veterans Foundations, Wounded Warriors and the like will go away.

Last edited by Rongone (5/17/2016 7:06 am)

5/17/2016 7:10 am  #4

There are scam artists everywhere there is big money. 

The Charity Navigator Site is always a good one to check on where you might want to donate. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/17/2016 10:34 am  #5

I agree with rongone.  There shouldn't even be a need for charitable organizations to take care of our wounded veterans. 

Board footera