The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2016 10:19 am  #1

Last night my computer was scammed big time.

It popped up with no warning.  The monitor screen was totally covered in blue and full of all sorts of warnings of what bad things will happen to my computer if I don't call 1-855-506-6515 immediately.  It's the same scam Brian Roche at WGAL-TV warns viewers about almost weekly when another viewer is hit. This time it was my turn.  I froze, knowing full well this is a scam, but in order to be rid of it I had to play their game--for now.  Two hours later, after watching Shawn Kevin--believe me, he sounded very much like all the Rajeshes I've talked to--manhandle my computer by installing all kinds of 'super, duper anti-everything software,'  running scans that supposedly delete a zillion bad and/or unwanted things, comes the money demands.  $199.99 for 6 months of 24 hr. tech service, 299.99 for 12 months or 399.99 for 24 months.  I chose the 6 months only service and put it on my VISA card.  They wanted a transfer from my bank and as Brian Roche always warns--once it's gone it can never can be retrieved. 
All the time they have control of my pc I'm on my laptop searching for information about these very bad people.  One very interesting web was a BBB site where they give the company a "F" and revoked their listing because of the lies told.  When consumers file a complaint against these bandits the company lies and says, no it's not us, people must find the telephone number online and call. 
I've already had a conversation with VISA dispute people but must wait until the charge is no longer "pending."  I'll get my $200 bucks back eventually and place another black mark on this company's website.  In the meantime I am making sure the important information stored on my computer is protected and will contact the Geek Squad which set up my new system less than a month ago to do a clean sweep and then reinstall Windows 10.
The company's name is TechmartLive Solutions LLC and they are located in Ripon, CA. 

5/05/2016 6:09 am  #2

Re: Last night my computer was scammed big time.

Sorry to hear about the scam that caught you. If you did banking on the computer or any thing that used password you should change all of that. More than likely all of that information has been comprised. No telling what they installed on your computer?

The Geek guys should have people who can make sure there is no Trojan horse virus lurking on your computer.

I use use Webroot Secure Anywhere for my main anti-virus/firewall. Then as a back up I use Malewarebytes. It can be used in conjunction with Webroot. It will catch stuff that might get missed.
I also use Malewarebytes Anti-Exploit. Every couple weeks I run SuperAntiSpyware.
Seems like a lot but as we know there are bad folks on the internet.

Last edited by Common Sense (5/05/2016 6:10 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/05/2016 9:48 am  #3

Ironically, immediately after installing WEBROOT the scammer's screen popped up and they did their damage.

Last edited by flowergirl (5/05/2016 3:35 pm)

5/05/2016 10:11 am  #4

flowergirl wrote:

Ironically, immediately after installing WEBROOT the sammer's screen poped up and they did their damage.

Was the WEBROOT program from a disc or a download?

Be very careful where the download came from. They spoof sites to make it look like the real site but it's not.
I have used WEBROOT for years. It's a great product!!

Last edited by Common Sense (5/05/2016 10:12 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/05/2016 3:37 pm  #5

It was a disc in an unopened box furnished by the Geek Squad.  The computer is now in their hands to undo the damage from the scammers.

Board footera