The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2015 4:45 pm  #51

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Is explaining condescending condescending?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/02/2015 9:52 pm  #52

Shouldn't have to be nor would it be if explained in the right context and manner.  Hypothetically--if you had used the word in a sentence and I didn't know what it meant and asked you to expain its meaning and you were kind enough to give me your explanation, I would thank you.  On the other hand--if I asked you to explain the meaning and you rolled your eyes and sputtered something nearly incoherent as though you thought I was stupid for having to ask, now that would be condescending.

3/03/2015 7:21 pm  #53

03/03/2015

The mood is one of those wobbly kind of moods.  Difficult to describe.  I guess 'abstract' is about as close as I'm going to get.

I fell asleep reading last night.  I enjoy reading in bed although my therapist is dead set against that sort of thing.  He's of the opinion that you should be sleeping in bed.

I didn't ask him where screwing fits in.

The down side to falling asleep while reading is that I fell asleep sitting up.  Which ends up being like I didn't sleep at all.  My head was spinning by lunch time.  Fortunately, I have an hour long lunch so I was able to get a quick nap in the car.  Nice Wendy was good enough to pick up a gyro from market so I didn't lose any quality napping time running to the cafe across the street.

The drive home was very, very tense.

It rained here.  Then there was sleet.  Then snow.  Then more rain.  Then freezing rain.  You get the picture.  Very slippery roads populated by morons who've lived here all their lives but still haven't figured out how to drive in this kind of crap.

You do not drive really fast on a straight section of road then stamp on the brakes when you get to a curve.  You do not step really hard on the gas when the light changes.  And, above all, you never, ever, ever, STOP ON A HILL!

Is that clear enough?

I got home okay.  I carpooled with Nice Wendy today.  I had to drop her off a couple of blocks from her house because all of the roads that get closer to her place are vertical.  It's like one of those sand traps.  You know the one's?  A spider in the desert makes a pit and sits in the bottom. Some foolish lizard steps into the pit but can't get back out because the sand falls away under its feet.

They're that kind of road.

I work in public service.  I enjoy doing public service.  I was happy that I was able to make someone's day when I went to check my mailbox  Apparently they found watching me trying to get back to my feet amusing.  I guess seeing a cripple on ice still works as a slapstick routine.  I could hear them laughing through the closed windows as they drove past, I was that good.  Maybe I should consider going into comedy.

I understand there's a special hell reserved for people like that.

The baking binge continues!  I currently have a Pillsbury Moist Supreme devils food cake in the oven.  Once it has cooled I intend to lovingly plaster it with a thick layer of chocolate icing.  I will then take it to work.  

I'm very popular on days like that.

I looked all over the store but I couldn't find a "Pillsbury Moist Mediocre" or a "Pillsbury Moist Eh..It'll Do" devils food cake mix; they must have been sold out.

Not much else to say tonight.  My back is kinda killing me right now.  A pain killer is looking good to me.  Hopefully I'll fall asleep in a more horizontal aspect tonight.

But I'm still going to read in bed.

Sorry to disappoint you doc.

Thanks for listening.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

3/03/2015 7:32 pm  #54

Read in bed.
It doesn't hurt you in any way.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/03/2015 8:10 pm  #55

Except for when you fall asleep on a hardback. Done that a few times. It hurts.

3/03/2015 8:12 pm  #56

Better than watching TV in bed.

It's been opined that "The Tonight Show" was the cause of many marriages failing. 

Opening monologues are not foreplay.

Life is an Orthros.

3/03/2015 8:37 pm  #57

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

03/03/2015

It rained here.  Then there was sleet.  Then snow.  Then more rain.  Then freezing rain.  You get the picture.  Very slippery roads populated by morons who've lived here all their lives but still haven't figured out how to drive in this kind of crap.

You do not drive really fast on a straight section of road then stamp on the brakes when you get to a curve.  You do not step really hard on the gas when the light changes.  And, above all, you never, ever, ever, STOP ON A HILL!

Is that clear enough?

May I also add that you don't try going up a steep hill in these driving conditions with a two wheel drive vehicle at 5 mph.  You will inevitably need to accelerate to make it to the top, but you will only slip and slide off to the side of the road.  Either get enough speed to cruise up to the top without having to accelerate or don't even bother trying it, because you will fail.

3/03/2015 9:00 pm  #58

Everything is frozen, and shiny, and bright and so very quiet.  

Passing cars are a whisper in the darkness their lights dazzling on the frozen street.  

Cool and quiet.  

Winter's last lashing

-Me again

3/03/2015 10:15 pm  #59

Brady Bunch wrote:

[
May I also add that you don't try going up a steep hill in these driving conditions with a two wheel drive vehicle at 5 mph.  You will inevitably need to accelerate to make it to the top, but you will only slip and slide off to the side of the road.  Either get enough speed to cruise up to the top without having to accelerate or don't even bother trying it, because you will fail.

Just keep your vehicle in second gear (yes, that is the "2" on your automatic at all times unless:

A) You are on a well treated road like US 30 or I 83--then drive (not overdrive) might be safe.

B) You are descending a very steep hill.  Then first gear is best.

By keeping the vehicle in second the starts will be smoother and there wll not be the lurch that can accompany the automatic shift.

And yes, keep your momentum going uphill!

Life is an Orthros.

3/03/2015 10:16 pm  #60

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

Everything is frozen, and shiny, and bright and so very quiet.  

Passing cars are a whisper in the darkness their lights dazzling on the frozen street.  

Cool and quiet.  

Winter's last lashing

Positively poetic.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera