The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/02/2015 4:39 pm  #1

Thinking Allowed

This will be a thread will I will share thoughts on various topics, and include occasional personal writings.  Discussion and constructive feedback are most certainly welcome.

Carpe Diem!

3/01/2015 9:13 pm  #2

Re: Thinking Allowed

03/01/15

I am deep in thought about human nature tonight.

I finally have something very good and very positive going on in my life right now that is bringing me a lot of happiness.

I have attempted to talk about it to a close family member and a few friends through Facebook. On all three occasions, the person has barely expressed that they are happy for me, and give me a one or two word response, and move on to talking about themselves and what's going on in their life.

This strikes me as odd.  I thought the people in question would be interested in knowing more about the situation and how things came about, and would express a general interest in what's going on in my life.  However, it just didn't happen.  I no sooner had my say, then they turned the conversation back around to what is going on with them, and expected me to listen intently, offer advice, and/or be otherwise enthused for what they are experiencing.  

Sometimes I just don't understand people.  It's okay if I'm here for everyone, care about what is going on with them, but I dare not expect the same in return from them.  The friends in question are not close friends, so maybe I'm expecting too much in thinking they would be interested when I have something positive occur in my life for a change.  

I'm always the go-to person and the person that offers support and advice.  It would just be nice to have the same interest shown to me in return sometimes.  

I'm not letting this bring me down, I'm just puzzled is all.

Just had to vent about this.

Carpe Diem!

3/01/2015 9:44 pm  #3

You've learned a difficult lesson.  I find rare the person who is interested in anyone or anything besides their self. People often are listening but really not hearing what is being said.

3/02/2015 6:37 am  #4

I've discovered the same thing.

Most times, when you're saying something to someone, all they're doing is thinking about what they're going to say next.

Having learned this, I mostly don't say anything at all.

Any reason you haven't said anything to your close friends?

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/02/2015 8:10 am  #5

The most important thing is that you be happy with you and you alone. 

You obviously are a caring person and that is wonderful. Not everyone will necessarily have your same compassion and caring. Don't worry about that, just don't forget the wisdom of the first sentence. 

Last edited by tennyson (3/02/2015 8:11 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera