The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/26/2015 7:43 am  #1

York closer to food-truck bill

York closer to food-truck bill

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_27599671/york-closer-food-truck-bill

A bill to legalize and regulate food trucks in York will be introduced March 3 to the York City Council, with a potential vote coming at the council's March 17 meeting.The proposed ordinance was discussed by council members for more than an hour Wednesday at the city's committee meeting.The 12-page ordinance contains language surrounding times of operation, licenses and fees and other regulations. A license would cost $300 annually and trucks would be allowed to serve food between 7 p.m. and 2 a.m.The earliest council could vote on the bill is March 17, said Carol Hill-Evans, council president. If approved, the bill would become law 20 days after council approves it, she said.

Last edited by Common Sense (2/26/2015 7:43 am)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/26/2015 9:23 am  #2

Re: York closer to food-truck bill

The brick-and-mortar establishments that they are in competition with pay MUCH MORE than this to keep their business up and running in terms of just the rent (or taxes and maint if owned) that they pay for their facilities. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/26/2015 9:34 am  #3

Food trucks operating from 7pm to 2am?  That sounds odd to me.

2/26/2015 10:46 am  #4

Very odd times.  If brick & mortar establishments can't stand the competition from a couple of food truck vendors maybe they are in the wrong business.  Travelling in other areas around the country one uniqueness of them is the street vendors who sell in addition to food, also sell other items like apparel and other touristy stuff.  This is more appealing to me than just food vendors.  Give people visiting the area a variety--there's bike night, the hot rod cars, etc.  Turn vendorship into a fun thing not just another PA disaster.

2/26/2015 10:52 am  #5

flowergirl wrote:

Very odd times.  If brick & mortar establishments can't stand the competition from a couple of food truck vendors maybe they are in the wrong business.  Travelling in other areas around the country one uniqueness of them is the street vendors who sell in addition to food, also sell other items like apparel and other touristy stuff.  This is more appealing to me than just food vendors.  Give people visiting the area a variety--there's bike night, the hot rod cars, etc.  Turn vendorship into a fun thing not just another PA disaster.

If the city is so interested in promoting the downtown venue then ALL participants in that should share in lower costs. I don't personally see food trucks as something that needs to be kept away. Actually the more vendors that can lure people to the downtown the better. Let's just make sure that they are all treated equally. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/26/2015 11:36 am  #6

Food trucks would be nice, but I also find their hours strange.  They can't operate at lunch, so the downtown workers can grab a quick bite?

But it's good to see York try to take a small step in joining the modern world.

2/26/2015 1:15 pm  #7

Why food truck and other vendors just in the downtown area.  When the bike night people and street rod people come to town they're all over the city and close-in surburbs.  Yorkers need to loosen up and stop living like it's still the 1950s. 

2/26/2015 4:35 pm  #8

I agree completely, flower girl.  I get so frustrated because York, and also the state of PA, sometimes seem so backward and set in their ways.  Other places are leaving us far behind.

I hope people succeed in their efforts to promote art, food, and things visitors and tourists like, but I'm afraid they will have an uphill battle with the current mindset of those in charge.

2/26/2015 5:33 pm  #9

Just Fred wrote:

Food trucks operating from 7pm to 2am?  That sounds odd to me.

Sounds arbitrary to me.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

Board footera