The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/28/2016 10:17 am  #1

Challenger space shuttle 30 years ago!

" Challenger Go with throttle up."   "Flight controllers here are looking very carefully at the situation".
 "Obviously a major malfunction".  "We have no down-link."

At 11:38 a.m. Jan. 28, 1986, the nation watched as triumph quickly turned to tragedy.The Challenger space shuttle launched from its pad in Cape Canaveral, Florida, as classrooms watched for the journey of Christa McAuliffe, NASA's Teacher in Space.Excitement turned to shock a little more than a minute into the flight, as Challenger exploded in the air after an O-ring seal failed in one of the rocket boosters.

From:Ronald Reagan Space Shuttle Challenger Explosion Speech 1/28/1986

The crew of the space shuttle Challenger honored us by the manner in which they lived their lives. We will never forget them, nor the last time we saw them, this morning, as they prepared for their journey and waved goodbye and ``slipped the surly bonds of earth'' to ``touch the face of God.''

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/28/2016 3:11 pm  #2

Re: Challenger space shuttle 30 years ago!

My father died in California that night so the date has additional meaning to my family.

1/28/2016 3:58 pm  #3

I was in 8th grade Industrial Arts class when the news came over the loudspeaker. I remember friends who were in science class and got to watch the lift off and hearing about how Mr. McLean broke down in tears when everyone realized what had happened. 

A very powerful moment in our American history

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/28/2016 10:36 pm  #4

Most definitely.

1/29/2016 7:33 am  #5

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/29/2016 8:58 am  #6

This is one of the moments in a country's history that touches it's soul.
A sad memory shared by everyone young, old, male or female.
All of US sharing a national tragedy.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

1/29/2016 9:13 am  #7

TheLagerLad wrote:

Worth a read 

Dreadful if this is what actually happened.

Will add this from a Pilot's blog:
At 10,000 feet, you can be perfectly fine for hours sitting in a seat.

At 20,000 feet, you'll be too stupid to stand or talk within a few minutes. Elderly or those with bad lungs will pass out, and eventually suffer brain damage from lack of oxygen.

At 30,000 feet, healthy young people will pass out within a minute or two, faster if standing up or walking. Again, brain damage will ensue in a couple to a few minutes.

At 40,000 feet, make that 15-30 seconds.

Airliners generally cruise between 30,000 and 40,000 feet. Clearly lifespans measured in minutes aren't compatible with trip times measured in hours.

Don't forget the pilots would be exposed to the same lack of breathable air as the passengers. Losing the pilots really shortens the ride.

One other thing: at 40,000 feet, the temperature is around -60F. Damn chilly. You could heat the plane without pressurizing it, but once you're pumping all that warm air in there, it isn't that hard to keep a little more inside to increase the pressure.

Board footera