The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/20/2016 3:06 pm  #11

Re: Timing: LATE FRIDAY INTO EARLY SUNDAY PRECIPITATION TYPE: HEAVY SNOW

We really can't complain about the winter weather so far around here.

Personally, I'm stoked about the amount of snow out west. We have a condo out in Park City, Utah and friends of ours that live out there say it's been a banner year for snowfall in the Wasatch range. As they say out there: "the greatest snow on earth". I think we might be heading out at the end of February.

1/20/2016 3:34 pm  #12

I'm with Fred and Tennyson.  To hell with bread and milk, I rarely consume either.  All I need is lots of good beer, enough food, and I'm set!  I bought a new snowblower last March and haven't gotten to use it yet.  I've never owned or even used a snowblower, and I'm looking forward to playing with my new toy! 

1/20/2016 6:47 pm  #13

Three comments:

1)  S & S is about hype and merchandising their T shirts.  
If you want accuracy go to Eric Horst at Millersville University because he teaches the science of meterology.

http://www.atmos.millersville.edu/~wic/

2)  To The Man:   Be really careful with the new toy.  Never, ever, try to unjam the auger with the clutch engaged.  In fact, best to shut off the motor because clutches can and do slip.  I've known several guys who have suffered serious injuries including partial amputations from trying to unclog a running snow thrower.

3)  Bread, milk, and eggs might not be all that crazy.  I make a really good bread/bacon/cheese casserole slopped with a milk and egg mixture.   Make it up the night before, let it sit in the refrigerator and then bake for an hour.  Very rich breakfast for the hard work of snow removal.  And it is easily reheated.  I'll probably mix one up on Friday night.

Life is an Orthros.

1/20/2016 8:03 pm  #14

Tarnation wrote:

S & S is about hype and merchandising their T shirts.  
If you want accuracy go to Eric Horst at Millersville University because he teaches the science of meterology.

http://www.atmos.millersville.edu/~wic/

S&S is the National Enquirer of the weather scene. While I respect what they do, they have an overwhelming tendency to skew their forecasts towards the extreme because it will get them more clicks/shares/likes. Post anything on their page that disagrees with what they say and it'll probably get deleted. Last year, they even shut down their Facebook page for a few days after one of their overblown storm forecasts was a total flop and they were getting blasted for it.

1/20/2016 8:37 pm  #15

A really good weather blog is the Capital Weather Gang, run by the Washington Post. Yeah, it's D.C. focused, but close enough for events like this. Lot of good weather science, live blogs and links to other good weather sites.

I'm about to go out to the garage and try and fire up the ol' Troy Built. I'll also need to do an inventory of the beer fridge to see what I'll need for the storm. 

<It ended up starting on the second pull. Bring on the storm>

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/20/2016 9:09 pm  #16

Max Power wrote:

S&S is the National Enquirer of the weather scene. While I respect what they do, they have an overwhelming tendency to skew their forecasts towards the extreme because it will get them more clicks/shares/likes. Post anything on their page that disagrees with what they say and it'll probably get deleted. Last year, they even shut down their Facebook page for a few days after one of their overblown storm forecasts was a total flop and they were getting blasted for it.

Bingo.

Non-professional and unprofessional in every sense.

Life is an Orthros.

1/20/2016 9:22 pm  #17

Tarnation wrote:

To The Man:   Be really careful with the new toy.  Never, ever, try to unjam the auger with the clutch engaged.  In fact, best to shut off the motor because clutches can and do slip.  I've known several guys who have suffered serious injuries including partial amputations from trying to unclog a running snow thrower. 

Absolutely!  Thanks for looking out!  As a general rule of thumb, I never stick body parts or anything else into running machinery.  Pretty much common sense.  I've seen people lose fingers to snowblowers and lawn mowers because of lack of common sense and/or laziness.

Last edited by The Man (1/20/2016 9:23 pm)

1/20/2016 9:31 pm  #18

Why do we call it "common" sense when so few seem to possess it?

Life is an Orthros.

1/21/2016 7:27 am  #19

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/21/2016 9:46 am  #20

Every time I think about snow I am reminded of this hilarious video ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera