The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/04/2016 11:45 am  #1

Who's Your Team?

As the NFL playoffs get ramped up, whose chances do you like?

I would say the Patriots, if they were healthy. But, I don't think that, even with the bye week, that will happen.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/04/2016 11:56 am  #2

Re: Who's Your Team?

Born and raised in Pittsburgh and a life long Steelers fan (even back in the days when the only reason fans went to the games was to throw empty Iron City cans at the team as they came on and off the field) I'll go with the Steelers:

http://youtu.be/gxfYB-Kvq5o

Hey, it's 1974 or '75 . . . Right? 

1/04/2016 1:31 pm  #3

After living in the DC area for so many years I'll always be a Redskins fan.  They are showing some really good football recently and I couldn't be happier.  Having written that, I have always enjoyed watching the Steelers play even with that goofball quarterback they have.

1/04/2016 2:00 pm  #4

As the Eagles have once again failed to make the playoffs, I don't have a team in this year's Super Bowl fight. But I do have opinions of who I think gets there.....

NFC - The clear cut favorite to me is Carolina. They got the hopes of an undefeated season out of the way a couple of weeks ago so they can now focus on just winning the games in front of them. Seattle has a fighter's chance as they seem to be getting good at the right time. I won't completely discount Arizona, but they did look horrible yesterday.

AFC - I can make a case for any of the teams on that side of the ledger, with the exception of Houston. 

New England - Brady has had an outstanding season with far lesser talent than he's had in the past. Having home field for much of the playoffs is a huge help and they'll need it.

Denver - Powerful running game, defense, and a angry Peyton Manning over the whole HGH accusation. 

Cincy - Strong defense, good receivers, good running backs. Will be better if Dalton gets healthy althought AJ McCarron has been good off the bench.

Pittsburgh - It's the Steelers. A proven coach and QB who know how to get things in the playoffs. Have looked really good at times this season.

Kansas City - 10 straight wins after a 1-5 start. Why not the Chiefs?

Houston - Nah. Weak division. The Redskins of the AFC. I don't see them beating the Chiefs, even though they are at home.

I'm going to take a wild swing and ride the hot hand of the Kansas City Chiefs all the way to the Super Bowl. 

So there you have it. Panthers vs. Chiefs. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/04/2016 4:26 pm  #5

Like rongone, I was born and spent my younger years in Pittsburgh (actually Aliquippa, but many never heard of the town so I simply tell people Pittsburgh) and became fully indoctrinated in Pittsburgh sports.  Dad took me to Forbes field and we watched Roberto Clemente, Bob Friend, Elroy Face, Don Hoak, etc.

But I digress ................... I'm rooting for the Steelers, but like Lager I also follow the Eagles, and since they took a dump, all I got left is the Steelers.  As a sidenote, the Phils ruined my summer and the Eagles and PSU dismantled my fall, so all I got left is the Steelers.

1/04/2016 5:19 pm  #6

Just Fred wrote:

Like rongone, I was born and spent my younger years in Pittsburgh (actually Aliquippa, but many never heard of the town so I simply tell people Pittsburgh) and became fully indoctrinated in Pittsburgh sports.  Dad took me to Forbes field and we watched Roberto Clemente, Bob Friend, Elroy Face, Don Hoak, etc.

But I digress ................... I'm rooting for the Steelers, but like Lager I also follow the Eagles, and since they took a dump, all I got left is the Steelers.  As a sidenote, the Phils ruined my summer and the Eagles and PSU dismantled my fall, so all I got left is the Steelers.

Hey Fred, I was a member of the Knothole Club at old Forbes Field. Myself and the other neighborhood kids used to take the trolley down to Oakland and walk to the field to see the Pirates still have a partial scrapbook of those teams - Clemente, Virdon, the Dawg, Hoak, Groat, Mazeroski, Long, Foiles, Burgess, Vernon Law, Friend, Elroy Face - show your club card and sit in the right field stands, watch the game, have a hot dog and a Coke, then grab the trolley back home. The total cost was around $3, and your parents let you do it on your own. Times sure have changed.

And the 'Quips, I can remember watching them in the WPIAL basketball championships. Me and my high school buddies got caught up in the Aliquippa fans chanting "let's go Quips" as they surged into the Civic Arena. And the Quips still do well in football and basketball. Lived in the South Hills (Greentree, Bethel Park, and Mt. Lebanon) But actually went to high school in Ligonier. My father worked for AT&T so we bounced in and out of Pittsburgh as his responsibilities changed.

Anyhow, being from that area and being involved in western PA football youth through high school and then on to college in the area made me a die hard Steelers fan regardless of their record. I think their chances are slim to make an impact in the playoffs, but I'll be waving my Terrible Towel.

1/04/2016 8:11 pm  #7

Since we share the same alma mater, I am rooting for Bruce Arians and the Cardinals.

I agree with Lager's assessment of the playoff picture in general, 3 teams in NFC and everyone in the AFC except Houston could go to the Super Bowl.

1/04/2016 8:14 pm  #8

Rongone wrote:

Just Fred wrote:

Hey Fred, I was a member of the Knothole Club at old Forbes Field. Myself and the other neighborhood kids used to take the trolley down to Oakland and walk to the field to see the Pirates still have a partial scrapbook of those teams - Clemente, Virdon, the Dawg, Hoak, Groat, Mazeroski, Long, Foiles, Burgess, Vernon Law, Friend, Elroy Face - show your club card and sit in the right field stands, watch the game, have a hot dog and a Coke, then grab the trolley back home. The total cost was around $3, and your parents let you do it on your own. Times sure have changed.

And the 'Quips, I can remember watching them in the WPIAL basketball championships. Me and my high school buddies got caught up in the Aliquippa fans chanting "let's go Quips" as they surged into the Civic Arena. And the Quips still do well in football and basketball. Lived in the South Hills (Greentree, Bethel Park, and Mt. Lebanon) But actually went to high school in Ligonier. My father worked for AT&T so we bounced in and out of Pittsburgh as his responsibilities changed.

Anyhow, being from that area and being involved in western PA football youth through high school and then on to college in the area made me a die hard Steelers fan regardless of their record. I think their chances are slim to make an impact in the playoffs, but I'll be waving my Terrible Towel.

Best high school basketball game I ever saw was the 2005 WPIAL AA championship game between Aliquippa and Beaver Falls.  Beaver Falls won in triple overtime, the game was well played, close the entire game, had several buzzer beaters at the end of regulation and overtime, including a 30 foot bank shot to give them the 79-78 win

1/04/2016 9:08 pm  #9

Ha!  Small world guys.  We lived on Irwin Street, my grandad managed Hoffman's drugstore in Plan 11. After the war, my dad graduated from Carnegie Tech, worked at J& L Steel while mom worked at Kaufman's Department store in the 'burgh, and then we moved to Lititz, PA. when dad got a job with Armstrong.

Here's a hoot ............... in my mom and dad's Aliquippa H.S. yearbook was some guy they graduated with named Henry Mancini.  Ha!

Last edited by Just Fred (1/04/2016 9:08 pm)

Board footera