The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2015 8:16 pm  #1

American Sniper

I have to say that I did not care for this movie. I know that there is a great deal of political buzz about it, and whether one likes it or not is supposed to reveal how you feel about our servicemen. That is unfortunate.

I can say that I honestly set politics aside. And that I have nothing but the highest respect - even awe - for the service and sacrifice of Chris Kyle.

I am just saying that, as a movie, I do not think that American Sniper is very good.
The acting is rather wooden. I never feel as if I understand or identify with Kyle's character. The love story never really pulls you in.
The battle scenes are professionally done in all their gory detail. However, no narrative pulls it together, and it all just seems tragic and pointless.

Kyle returns from the war with some real emotional difficulties. However, he overcomes them by providing service to other veterans, and rediscovers himself. I wish that Clint Eastwood had spent more time developing this aspect of the story, as it is hopeful. Unfortunately, Eastwood glosses over this in about the time it took you to read this review.

Bummer.

Last edited by Goose (1/31/2015 9:01 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/02/2015 8:16 am  #2

Re: American Sniper

Although I think Bradley Cooper is a very good actor, I just have no desire to see this movie. The reviews that I've heard are somewhat similar to Gooses's review. In fact, the line in Gooses's review that says ".....and it all just seems tragic and pointless" pretty much sums up war in general.
While I usually like good war movies, ever since Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, the bar is set pretty high for me.

2/03/2015 9:57 am  #3

It is an unfortunate reality that many veterans return home, some after several extended overseas tours, to find that they are not able to "fit in" to the domestic life that they had left behind. They find themselves more comfortable with the camaraderie of their compatriots in arms despite the hostile setting and intensely emotional and physical hardships of serving in a war zone. The internal guilt they face by not being able to adjust and relate to their families and friends sometimes has devastating results.

Again, with less than 1% of the overall population of the U.S. ever serving in active military duty, it is hard for the vast majority of our citizens to have any understanding of these problems. Perhaps if more were required to serve, especially those who tout the bravery of these patriots while doing everything possible to personally avoid military service, the seriousness of the problem would be dealt with and include some compassion rather than innocuous sound bites.

This has been going on ever since the first humans went off to war and later returned home. Too bad we can't figure out how to avoid going to war in the first place.

2/23/2015 4:16 pm  #4

I have not seen the movie. I have, however, seen this video of the fake baby. And that baby is the fakest baby I have ever seen. I'm not sure I'll be able to watch the movie now. It is just that fake.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2/23/2015 6:14 pm  #5

I really want to see this but I really hate going to the theater so I'll wait until the DVD comes out. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

Board footera