The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/30/2015 11:57 pm  #1

Concert Bucket List

I absolutely love music, so I thought I would start off this topic by posing two questions:  If you could see a favorite artist or group in concert, who would it be?  Also, if you have attended concerts in the past, which have been your favorites, and why?

My favorite artist to see in concert, hands down, is Rob Thomas, lead singer for Matchbox Twenty.  He has an amazing solo career and will be releasing his third solo album early this summer and doing a North American tour in conjunction with the album release.  I have been fortunate enough to see him twice now in concert at The Borgata in Atlantic City at The Music Box, and both shows have been nothing short of phenomenal.  His singing and piano playing are amazing, and he interjects personal stories related to the songs he performs during his set, and it is just completely captivating.  Better yet, all proceeds from the concert go to support the foundation he and his wife established to promote causes related to animal rescue across the country.  For me, it is money very well-spent.

Groups and artists on my concert bucket list include Billy Joel, The Script, and in a perfect world, U2.  From what I have heard, tickets to see U2 on tour are astronomically expensive, so I don't think that will ever happen...but one can still dream.

Carpe Diem!

1/31/2015 7:54 am  #2

Re: Concert Bucket List

I would love to see Billy Joel, and Bruce Springsteen. It's the soundtrack of my life!

The past few years I've been getting more and more into classical music.
In the summer the Boston Symphony Orchestra gives concerts at Tanglewood, which is near my home.
It's a great venue.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/31/2015 9:13 am  #3

Some of my favorite concerts were:  Bob Dylan, James Taylor (3 times), and the Eagles.  Topping my bucket list would be Van Morrison, Billy Joel, Simon and Garfunkel (if they ever got back together again), and Springsteen ................. I guess I've shown my age.  I tend to lean toward 'singer-songwriters' from the 60's and 70's.

However, recently I attended concerts by 'Fish Tank' and another by 'The Caravan of Thieves'.  Both quite entertaining and talented artists.  We have a Roots and Blues festival coming up here in Lancaster on Feb.6 - 7.  Something like 50 bands playing at 9 separate venues.  Great opportunity to be introduced to new artists ........... oh, and btw, they used one of my paintings for the posters that are scattered around town, on the website, and probably on t-shirts and whatever else the organizers wanted to do with the image.

Last edited by Just Fred (1/31/2015 9:14 am)

1/31/2015 10:45 am  #4

I've seen the Grateful Dead going back to the late 80's and seen various incarnations of the band post-Jerry's death as well as Phil's and Bobby's solo projects.

Over the 4th of July weekend, in honor of the band's 50th anniversary, all of the orginial band members are getting back together to play one more set of shows at Soldier Field in Chicago. To add to the awsomeness of this, Trey Anastasio of the band Phish will be standing in for Jerry Garcia. And Bruce Hornsby is sitting in on keyboards. 

Pre-sales happened a couple of weeks ago and I sent in my ticket request to the Dead's ticket office.

Apparently, so did a whole lot of other people 

The Dead's ticket office received350,000 ticket requests for 180,000 seats (60,000 seats over three days) 

So chances are I'm not getting tickets but I would really love to be there.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/31/2015 11:08 am  #5

I've been to too many to list, and want to go to too many to list. But my most current band that I would like to see is TV On The Radio. They've played in Lanc. in the recent past, but I wasn't able to go.

2/01/2015 2:50 pm  #6

Dylan. The Rolling Stones. The Grateful Dead. Saw Jimi Hendricks once in Youngstown, OH.

Have seen Jimmy Buffett more times than I care to admit, even VIP hobnobbing with the Coral Reefers.

Would have liked to have seen Bob Marley live.

Best live concerts I have attended . . . Just the music, not counting the before and after partying - The Who, and a couple of years ago - Bonnie Raitt.

2/02/2015 9:10 am  #7

O.K., I'm officially jealous of anyone who has gotten to see Dylan and Hendrix live! I bet Hendrix was something to see! I would have liked to have seen Janis Joplin just once live, with her wonderful scratchy voice and fun-loving personality.

2/04/2015 2:08 pm  #8

Rongone wrote:

Best live concerts I have attended . . . Just the music, not counting the before and after partying - The Who,

I saw The Who at old Veterans Stadium in 1989. They played Tommy in it's entirety. After seeing them, it's been cemented that John Entwistle is the greatest rock bass player to have ever lived.

Coincidentally, The Who are doing (they say) one final world tour in 2015 and the final show of that tour, and presumably of their careers as The Who, is in Philadelphia.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/04/2015 2:33 pm  #9

TheLagerLad wrote:

Rongone wrote:

Best live concerts I have attended . . . Just the music, not counting the before and after partying - The Who,

I saw The Who at old Veterans Stadium in 1989. They played Tommy in it's entirety. After seeing them, it's been cemented that John Entwistle is the greatest rock bass player to have ever lived.

Coincidentally, The Who are doing (they say) one final world tour in 2015 and the final show of that tour, and presumably of their careers as The Who, is in Philadelphia.

They really rocked when I saw them. Just remember the whole place shaking & vibrating as the crowd screamed out "won't get fooled again" with Daltrey. Townsend & Entwistle were great. And, of course, Keith Moon was a maniac on the drums.

2/06/2015 11:04 am  #10

BYOB wrote:

O.K., I'm officially jealous of anyone who has gotten to see Dylan and Hendrix live! I bet Hendrix was something to see! I would have liked to have seen Janis Joplin just once live, with her wonderful scratchy voice and fun-loving personality.

Hendrix played in this old theater in Youngstown (home of the Penguins). It was in the 60's and a couple of us drove over from our college in PA to see him. It wasn't unusual for us to do this as we used to drive to Kent State on weekends when nothing was happening on our campus. Kent State had some good concerts going on at that time, and, even if there was no concert, they had some great clubs with live music like The Cove, JB's, and the Fifth Quarter.  Anyhow, back to Hendrix in Y'town. The old theater he played in had no seats so everybody brought pillows, cushions or blankets to sit on. Hendrix and the Experience came out and immediately started playing. I don't even know what they were playing, but it was loud and energetic . . . almost like a long tune-up session. Hendrix was doing all his magic with his guitar and the crowd was clapping and dancing to the music with the distinct scent of ganja in the air. Hendrix had on one of his usual psychedelic outfits with this crumpled kind of top hat on his head. After every song this one guy would stand up and shout "Jimi, take that hat off your head" and stand there ready to catch the souvenir if Hendrix decide to discard it. Hendrix would just smile and start another song. Until after one song, when the guy shouted about the hat, Hendrix smiled, looked directly at the guy and said "I'll take off my hat, when you take off your pants". The crowd went wild. The guy took off his jeans and flung them towards the stage. Hendrix laughed and tossed his hat to the guy, and then launched into "Purple Haze".

At least that's the way I remember it through the haze of my 60's memory.

Board footera