The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2015 9:11 am  #1

Let Me Get This Straight

Some Harry Potter fans can accept a world-wide postal service run by owls,,,,, but find a black Hermione too implausible to deal with?

Casting a Black Hermione Granger Underscores a Key Harry Potter Theme

In the Harry Potter universe, wizards teleport through fireplaces, people hold conversations with paintings, and characters fly on brooms in a sport won by capturing a winged golden orb. Yet, apparently, it’s a stretch too far for some fans, who are responding on social media, that a character in an adaptation be played by a black woman.

Reactions to the announcement that Noma Dumezweni would play the now grown-up magic student Hermione Granger in the London play “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” based on the novels by J. K. Rowling, were mostly positive. But, the Internet being the Internet, there was more than a smattering of Harry Potter fans opposed to the idea completely.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/21/arts/black-hermione-harry-potter-theme.html?WT.mc_id=D-NYT-MKTG-MOD-92537-12-23-HD&WT.mc_ev=click&WT.mc_c=

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/23/2015 9:22 am  #2

Re: Let Me Get This Straight

I'm a Harry Potter fan, myself.  I consider this a non-story since I don't think the pigmentation of Hermoine's is important.

Board footera