The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/15/2016 12:19 pm  #1

Tomatoes

Lunching today on slices of some of the last ripe tomatoes from my garden.  With the cooler temps. for awhile it will take even longer for others to ripen and there are soooo many green tomatoes left on the vines.  I'm not wishing for more 90 days but it would help the ripening. 

9/15/2016 1:04 pm  #2

Re: Tomatoes

It is bittersweet. I think that the beginning of September brings the best tomatoes of the year, but the end is very near.
Never really cared for green tomatoes

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/15/2016 3:19 pm  #3

I love fried green tomatoes and especially if someone else makes them for me.  They are messy to make but this year maybe I'll break down and do it.

9/15/2016 8:24 pm  #4

Best green tomatoes I ever ate were at a mom & pop diner in Arkedelphia, Arkansas, served side dish.   They had been pickled in a spicy dill + red pepper mixture.  They sold quart jars of the confection and brought a couple back....never found anything like them locally.

Life is an Orthros.

9/15/2016 9:44 pm  #5

If I end up with enough green tomatoes I thought of doing something pickled with them.  I made wonderful bread & butter and dill pickles with my cucumbers this summer.  I'll have to get busy and do some internet searches.

9/15/2016 10:33 pm  #6

http://www.southernliving.com/food/entertaining/pickle-recipes/green-tomato-hot-pepper-pickles-recipe

Green
Tomato-Hot Pepper Pickles 
Yield:Makes: 6 (1-pt.) widemouthed jars for the shelf 

Ingredients

2 1/2 pounds green tomatoes (about 7 medium), cut into eighths 1 pound yellow, green, and orange hot banana peppers (Hungarian wax), cut into 1/2-inch rings 1 pound Anaheim peppers, cut into 1/2-inch rings 1 small onion, sliced (1 1/4 cups) 4 teaspoons canning-and-pickling salt, divided 4 cups white vinegar (5% acidity) 1/2 cup sugar 1 tablespoon pickling spice 1 tablespoon mustard seeds 6 small garlic cloves Preparation1. Sterilize jars, and prepare lids.2. While jars are boiling, toss together first 4 ingredients and 3 tsp. salt in a very large bowl. Let stand 20 minutes. Drain.3. Bring vinegar, sugar, remaining 1 tsp. salt, and 2 cups water to a boil in a 12-qt. stainless steel or enameled stockpot, stirring until sugar dissolves.4. Place 1/2 tsp. pickling spice, 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds, and 1 garlic clove in each hot jar. Using a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to hot jars, packing tightly and leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Cover vegetables with hot pickling liquid, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Seal and process jars, processing 15 minutes.5. Remove jars from water, and let stand, undisturbed, at room temperature 24 hours. To check seals, remove the bands, and press down on the center of each lid. If the lid doesn’t move, the jar is sealed. If the lid depresses and pops up again, the jar is not sealed. Store properly sealed jars in a cool, dark place up to 1 year. Refrigerate after opening.  Note:Eat these spicy-tart pickles straight up, or pulse them in a food processor to make a quick salsa. If you prefer milder pickles, gently tap the cut peppers to shake out some of the seeds before adding the peppers to the jars.Total time: 1 hour, 35 min., plus 3 weeks standing timeSouthern Living Little Jars, Big Flavors,

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera