The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/20/2015 8:24 am  #1

Is It Time for the Biden Plan?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/20/2015 9:55 am  #2

Re: Is It Time for the Biden Plan?

Might have worked in 2006, but as the song goes "that was yesterday, and yesterday's gone". 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/20/2015 10:22 am  #3

I dunno.
It looks like to me that there really is no Iraq.
Give the Kurds a state. Let the Saudis control Anbar, and the Iranians control the east.
Of course, they will immediately fight over borders,,,,,,

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/20/2015 10:31 am  #4

To be honest, with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think Biden's plan (which I supported at the time) wouldn't have prevented much of where Iraq and most of region is facing with ISIS.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/20/2015 10:39 am  #5

Well, if we had been giving that training and weaponry to the kurds for all this time, we might have gotten something out of it.

5/20/2015 10:44 am  #6

Goose wrote:

Well, if we had been giving that training and weaponry to the kurds for all this time, we might have gotten something out of it.

I kind of look at it as if we're going to play "we shoulda", the teachable moment was that we should have never gone to Iraq in the first place. Does that mean we wouldn't have seen an increase in radical Islam in the last 14 years, but I do think the entire region would be more stable. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/20/2015 10:45 am  #7

To be honest, with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think Biden's plan (which I supported at the time) wouldn't have prevented much of where Iraq and most of region is facing with ISIS

But, had we accepted Biden's plan maybe there wouldn't have been an ISIS.  Who can say?

I agree with Goose here and would even go one step further to suggest there really never was an 'Iraq' in the first place.  It was a chunk of real estate occupied by three Islamic sects held together by Saddam Hussein.

5/20/2015 11:05 am  #8

TheLagerLad wrote:

Goose wrote:

I kind of look at it as if we're going to play "we shoulda", the teachable moment was that we should have never gone to Iraq in the first place. Does that mean we wouldn't have seen an increase in radical Islam in the last 14 years, but I do think the entire region would be more stable. 

I agree. Invading Iraq was the biggest foreign policy disaster of our time. Perhaps worse than Vietnam.
I would suggest that ISIS is one of the outcomes of this debacle.
The only beneficiary I can see is Iran.

The question I have is, where now?
Withdraw completely, partition Iraq, something else?

We have a great deal of culpability for the suffering that is occurring in the region.
Can we do anything productive now, or is our involvement just going to make it worse?

5/20/2015 1:38 pm  #9

Goose wrote:

TheLagerLad wrote:

Goose wrote:

I agree. Invading Iraq was the biggest foreign policy disaster of our time. Perhaps worse than Vietnam.
I would suggest that ISIS is one of the outcomes of this debacle.
The only beneficiary I can see is Iran.

The question I have is, where now?
Withdraw completely, partition Iraq, something else?

We have a great deal of culpability for the suffering that is occurring in the region.
Can we do anything productive now, or is our involvement just going to make it worse?

BOTH were huge mistakes, however, IMHO I believe the long lasting effects of the Iraq invasion and removal of Sadaam will be much worse than Vietnam by a long shot. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/21/2015 7:38 am  #10

Yes, I am thinking that Iraq will be a much more significant disaster as time goes by

Board footera