The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2018 4:50 am  #1

I'm Not a Scientist, But,,,,,,

Trump Says He Knows About Climate Change Because His Uncle Was A Scientist

In an interview with the US version of 60 Minutes earlier this week, Trump explained that he no longer believes climate change to be a Chinese hoax but is of the mind that, while “something” is happening, it’s liable to just change back again. His big thing at the moment seems to be acknowledging that climate change is happening but in a way that’s trivial and is not at all worth addressing, which will definitely end up as one of the soundbites they use in future documentaries that explain how the earth became a lifeless ball of dust.

You would assume that Trump, the head of state of the world’s only superpower, would have his opinion on this informed by the reports and briefings available to him from some of the world’s foremost scientific organisations but, uh, no. That is not what informs his opinions. What informs his opinions is that the fact that his uncle — Dr John Trump — is a scientist.

Trump loves to bring up his uncle John (who passed away in 1985), as in this terrifyingly real example:

"I mean, you have scientists on both sides of it. My uncle was a great professor at MIT for many years. Dr John Trump. And I didn’t talk to him about this particular subject, but I have a natural instinct for science, and I will say that you have scientists on both sides of the picture."

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/donald-trump-climate-bastard-uncle-john/

Last edited by Goose (10/17/2018 4:50 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/17/2018 4:58 am  #2

Re: I'm Not a Scientist, But,,,,,,

I'm not a scientist, but my long dead uncle, who I never talked to about science was an engineer,, so,,, you know,,, 

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

10/17/2018 7:22 am  #3

Omg!!!!!!  Well, now maybe colleges should offer science degrees to people who have an 'instinct' for science.

Last edited by Just Fred (10/17/2018 7:26 am)

10/17/2018 8:03 am  #4

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera