The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/15/2017 5:32 pm  #1

Trump Embraces Racism

Stop Trying to make Trump say things that he doesn't believe.
When someone shows you what they are, believe them the first time

Trump Defends Initial Remarks on Charlottesville; Again Blames ‘Both Sides’

President Trump angrily defended himself on Tuesday against criticism that he did not specifically condemn Nazi and white supremacist groups following the weekend’s deadly racial unrest in Virginia, and at one point questioned whether the movement to pull down statues of Confederate leaders would escalate to the desecration of George Washington.

In a long, combative exchange with reporters at Trump Tower in Manhattan, the president repeatedly rejected a torrent of bipartisan criticism for waiting two days before naming the right-wing groups and placing blame on “many sides” for the violence on Saturday that ended with the death of a young woman after a car crashed into a crowd.

He said that “before I make a statement, I like to know the facts.”

And he criticized “alt-left” groups that he claimed were “very, very violent” when they sought to confront the white nationalist and Nazi groups that had gathered in Charlottesville, Va., to protest the removal of a statue of Robert E. Lee from a park. He said there is “blame on both sides.”

“Many of those people were there to protest the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee,” Mr. Trump said. “This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?” he said, noting that the first American president had owned slaves.

Mr. Trump defended those gathered in the Charlottesville park to protest the statue’s removal, saying, “I’ve condemned neo-Nazis. I’ve condemned many different groups. Not all of those people were neo-Nazis, believe me. Not all of those people were white supremacists by any stretch.”

Mr. Trump unleashed a torrent of frustration at the news media, saying they were being “fake” because they did not acknowledge that his initial statement about the Charlottesville protest was “very nice.”

Again and again, Mr. Trump said that the portrayal of nationalist protesters in the city were not all Nazis or white supremacists, and he said it was unfair to suggest that they were.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/15/us/politics/trump-press-conference-charlottesville.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=a-lede-package-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/15/2017 5:47 pm  #2

Re: Trump Embraces Racism

Kelly must think Trump has no self control - and he is RIGHT ! 

Trump is totally unhinged and a danger to our society. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/15/2017 9:41 pm  #3

“Many of those people were there to protest the taking down of the statue of Robert E. Lee,” Mr. Trump said. “This week, it is Robert E. Lee and this week, Stonewall Jackson. Is it George Washington next? You have to ask yourself, where does it stop?” he said, noting that the first American president had owned slaves.

He does realize that George Washington did not participate in the Civil War doesn't he, or is he assuming George Washington would take the side of the traitors who wanted to break away from the country he helped to found?

Last edited by Just Fred (8/15/2017 9:42 pm)

8/16/2017 5:38 am  #4

Well, the time for debate is over.
The time for explaining what he really meant is past.

Donald Trump wasn't "tricked" by the press. He wanted very badly to say what he said.
Donald Trump equated activists protesting racism with neo-Nazis.
Donald Trump suggested that Nazis had been provoked into violence by "bad people".

We know exactly what this man is.

Donald Trump is NOT pandering to white nationalists.
Donald Trump is a white nationalist.

Last edited by Goose (8/16/2017 6:59 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/16/2017 2:08 pm  #5

Just Fred wrote:

He does realize that George Washington did not participate in the Civil War doesn't he, or is he assuming George Washington would take the side of the traitors who wanted to break away from the country he helped to found?

George Washington was a Virginia aristocrat whose Mount Vernon plantation was run by slaves.  The county he had helped to found--considered traitors by the British--could declare independence only after removing a powerful anti-slavery clause from the declaration document.

Most Virginians saw themselves as Virginians first and as Americans second.  I doubt that GW would have been an exception.

Life is an Orthros.

8/16/2017 3:01 pm  #6

I doubt that GW would have been an exception.

That's interesting.  So your assertion is that George Washington would have supported the enslavement of fellow human beings, and in the next century would have opposed Abraham Lincoln and the preservation of the Union?

8/16/2017 3:16 pm  #7

Just Fred wrote:

I doubt that GW would have been an exception.

That's interesting.  So your assertion is that George Washington would have supported the enslavement of fellow human beings, and in the next century would have opposed Abraham Lincoln and the preservation of the Union?

Washington did keep slaves through his entire lifespan. His will at his death allowed the slaves still owned to be freed only after his wife Martha's death. Many believe that Washington had changed many of his ideas about slavery by the time he died, but nevertheless he used them his entire life. 

It is unbelievable in this day and age that educated men of good upbringing and considered Christian could support such a view, but that is exactly the way it was. We can keep statutes or take them down but unless we rewrite the history books that is exactly how it was. 

BTW, in general I am for in general removing many of the statues to more appropriate places. In the case of Baltimore that just removed a lot of the statues from the downtown, I believe they are actively considering placing them in a Confederate graveyard.  I DO believe places like battlegrounds such as Gettysburg, Manasses, etc should have items such as statues as a reminder of what happened on those grounds. It should be a reminder of what tore us apart and caused thousands of American on American deaths. 

Last edited by tennyson (8/16/2017 3:23 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera