The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2017 8:17 pm  #1

Red Lion's cool "Party Mom" about to be put on ice

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/crime/2017/07/20/verdict-expected-shortly-case-red-lion-students-deaths/491162001/

Guilty on all counts--as it should be.

Every high school in every generation has at least one pathetic "parent" who tries to relive their high school fantasies (or compensate for their high school insecurities) by becoming the host of the party house.     Provide the kids with any liquid libations they desire and damn the consequences.

We had (at least) one in York High in the 70's.   An affluent "professional" parent from the suburbs who paid tuition for his son to attend what was, back in the day, the most challenging academic high school in the county.   The kids who were in X's crowd would gossip all day Monday and Tuesday about what had happened at X's house that past weekend; on Wednesdays they would actually focus on school, and then on Thursday they began speculating about what was going to happen at X's house come Friday night.

Nobody got killed coming from X's house.

But the message from this verdict is coming about 40 years too late.

I'm thankful that my classmates survived their stupidity plied by adults who should have known better.

But a verdict like this, coming around 1970 could have made Old York High and even better academic institution.,

Life is an Orthros.

7/21/2017 5:08 am  #2

Re: Red Lion's cool "Party Mom" about to be put on ice

Strange that her husband plead guilty but she went to trial.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

7/21/2017 5:22 am  #3

Tarnation wrote:

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/crime/2017/07/20/verdict-expected-shortly-case-red-lion-students-deaths/491162001/

Guilty on all counts--as it should be.

Every high school in every generation has at least one pathetic "parent" who tries to relive their high school fantasies (or compensate for their high school insecurities) by becoming the host of the party house.     Provide the kids with any liquid libations they desire and damn the consequences.

We had (at least) one in York High in the 70's.   An affluent "professional" parent from the suburbs who paid tuition for his son to attend what was, back in the day, the most challenging academic high school in the county.   The kids who were in X's crowd would gossip all day Monday and Tuesday about what had happened at X's house that past weekend; on Wednesdays they would actually focus on school, and then on Thursday they began speculating about what was going to happen at X's house come Friday night.

Nobody got killed coming from X's house.

But the message from this verdict is coming about 40 years too late.

I'm thankful that my classmates survived their stupidity plied by adults who should have known better.

But a verdict like this, coming around 1970 could have made Old York High and even better academic institution.,

What a sad story. Two young lives lost for no reason.
I agree, the verdict was just, and long overdue.
I expect poor judgment from 17 year olds.
I expect adults to act like adults.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/21/2017 8:28 am  #4

Common Sense wrote:

Strange that her husband plead guilty but she went to trial.

Spousal immunity prevented him from offering his statement (made just a couple of hours before the accident) "this has to stop" to which she replied "I make the rules".   That was one of the most damning pieces of testimony, especially the context  That exchange happened when a young man who had consumed half a bottle of rum had to be physically carried out to his parents' vehicle.

My hunch is that Stephen's lawyer was aware that this statement would come from another witness.  The plea may allow him to avoid jail time so that their younger children still have one parent around.

http://www.ydr.com/story/news/crime/2017/07/21/why-were-there-different-outcomes-for-the-husband-and-wife-charged-in-red-lion-students-deaths/499592001/

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera