The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/06/2017 3:04 pm  #1

Foreign Relations chairman stunned by Trump's Qatar tweets

Last month President Donald Trump praised Qatar as an important ally whose huge American Military base was a vital asset for fighting the war on terror.

Here's a photo of the Emir  meeting in Riyadh with his great friend, Donald Trump.

And now, today President Trump is praising Saudi Arabia and other Gulf States for severing ties with Qatar. Actually Trump is even taking credit for it.

How's it feel, under the bus, Emir Al Thani?

Don't take it personally. Trump doesn't understand what's going on over there.
He just saw a dramatic development had occurred, and reflexively moved to take credit for it. Like the shameless self-promoter that he is.
Meanwhile experts warn that isolating Qatar is really not a thing you want to take credit for.

Just another day of incompetence.

Foreign Relations chairman stunned by Trump's Qatar tweets

The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee was stunned Tuesday when told by reporters about President Trump’s tweets on Qatar.

Asked for his reaction, Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.) first said he hadn’t seen the tweets.

Told by a reporter that Trump accused Qatar of being a state sponsor of terrorism, Corker responded, in a notably lower register, “The president?”

Reporters responded yes, and five seconds of silence later, Corker followed up: “When did that occur?”

Told that it happened Tuesday morning, Corker stood silent for about another 10 seconds.

“I, um, I want to go back and see specifically what he has said,” Corker finally said.

“Our position generally as a nation has been that these things ebb and flow and they come up from time to time, but we work with all of the countries,” he continued.

Trump's tweets on Tuesday appeared out of step with the initial U.S. reaction to the diplomatic fight in the Middle East. Trump took credit for Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries cutting off ties with Qatar, a longtime U.S. ally, over allegations of state support for terrorism.

“During my recent trip to the Middle East I stated that there can no longer be funding of Radical Ideology. Leaders pointed to Qatar - look!” he tweeted Tuesday.

“So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding …. extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!” he continued later.

Asked what was going through his head as he reacted to the tweets, Corker said he was quiet because reporters were giving him new information.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/06/2017 9:02 pm  #2

Re: Foreign Relations chairman stunned by Trump's Qatar tweets

He has NO CLUE !! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera