The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/22/2016 2:46 pm  #1

Just curious.

Are the left lane restrictions for trucks only a suggestion (like many of today's vehicle laws!) in the presence of a designated truck lane or are they enforceable?  Travelling up and down 83 a few days each week I see more and more trucks ignore the signs that read "No Trucks Left Lane."

6/22/2016 3:35 pm  #2

Re: Just curious.

It's just like with sailing. There are all sorts of rules concerning who has the right of way in several situations. A lot of the time they aren't enforced. One reason is that a lot of the weekend 'captains' out there have no idea about what the rules actually are. That is different on the highway when you have a large sign designating no trucks in the left lane or specifying a truck and bus lane. They choose to ignore these directions because, despite the rules, the one rule that you have to be cognizant of and obey is that, inevitably the largest boat/vehicle will claim the right of way.

I always like the 18 wheeler towing a 50' trailer that goes blowing by you at 80 mph (in the lane to the right or left of you . . . it doesn't matter to them) has the back of the trailer plastered with signs that say: "don't pass on right", "vehicle Stops at railroad tracks", "this vehicle makes wide turns", "watch out for sudden stops", "if driver can't see you in his mirrors, he's likely to switch lanes and crush you and it will be your fault", and of course, the world famous "how am I driving. Report reckless driving to some phone number that has been mysteriously scratched out".

6/22/2016 6:57 pm  #3

Re: Just curious.

I see many local company big trucks and others that must travel up and down 83 on a regular basis so they have no excuses for disobeying those signs other than get the hell outta my way attitude I'm comin' thru!  

Board footera