The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/12/2015 3:56 pm  #1

Great Horned Owl Cam

I was just told of this Great Horned Owl cam.  It is not local, but it's interesting just the same:

http://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/great-horned-owl-cam

2/12/2015 10:22 pm  #2

Re: Great Horned Owl Cam

That's really cool. The nest is lite at night.  It opened its eyes and moved its head around then closed it  eyes again.  From the looks of its feathers moving around and the sound it seems GA is having the same nasty wind as we are.

2/13/2015 1:16 am  #3

Yes, this is really awesome and thanks to night vision photography you can observe it all night which is good considering owls are nocturnal. It is so neat to see the pure white fluffy babies and watch the mother feed them. Thanks for sharing this.

2/13/2015 9:31 am  #4

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too.  ~Voltaire

Last edited by IntroVertigo (2/19/2015 7:57 am)

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too.  ~Voltaire

2/13/2015 11:08 pm  #5

I was watrching the owl this evening. She had her back to the camera & at one point raised her rear & peed. 

2/21/2015 10:48 am  #6

Looks like she's had two chicks.  The one on her left--as I was watching at 10:45 this morning--is alive, moving and seems well.  The one on her right not to so and looks quite dead.  A cawing crow was very nearby and probably had its eye on a chick.  Momma was very observant and her head moved, probably with the crows movewment.

2/21/2015 3:40 pm  #7

I looked sometime yesterday and saw what was evidently the chick.  It was just a mass with some legs and feet sticking out.  I thought it might have been remains of some prey.  Sorry to think it was in reality one of the chicks.

2/21/2015 10:26 pm  #8

Florentine, watching tonight there are definitely two very much alive owl chicks.  There wasn't a parent owl in the nest when I began watching but one did return in a few minutes.

2/22/2015 9:22 am  #9

I'm glad to hear that!

2/22/2015 9:59 pm  #10

It was familyy meal time with momma breaking off pieces of whatever it was they were eating and feeding it to the chicks.  I quite watching when it sounded like the breaking of bones!

Board footera