The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/04/2015 9:28 am  #1

GOP Presidential Field Continues to Grow

Dr. Ben Carson = in

Carly Fiorina = in

Lindsay Graham, John Kaisch, and Mike Huckabee all expected to get in over the next week or so.

FWIW, I think this is great and will seriously help the republicans find the candidate who can speak to the broadest swath of Americans.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/04/2015 9:44 am  #2

Re: GOP Presidential Field Continues to Grow

I agree.. I wish the dems had more of a contest going.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2015 9:57 am  #3

It is also (or even more than) nice to see some fresh faces in the pack. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/04/2015 11:01 am  #4

Agreed, but let's not discount the entertainment factor, too! 

5/04/2015 11:16 am  #5

Just Fred wrote:

It's kind of like there is a race before The Race for the nomination, if you get my meaning.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/04/2015 11:29 am  #6

Just Fred wrote:

To be honest, there are only three current GOP candidates that I dismiss out of the gate (Cruz, Santorum, and Huckabee) and I only dismiss Santorum on his social views.  Everyone else who is in I believe deserves a fair opportunity to make his or her case.

Now if Trump gets in, then the party starts!!!

Seriously though, the fact that we're going to see a much larger, much more thorough debate by a huge GOP field, I believe I instinctively follow thier primary closer than the Sanders-Hillary-O'Malley-(Maybe) Chaffee race, which right or wrong will be dominated by Clinton. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

5/04/2015 12:17 pm  #7

The large field will pressure candidates to distinguish themselves from each other on policy. This can lead to some interesting and new ideas.
Unfortunately it can also lead to a pandering contest in which the candidates try to one up each other on a hot button issue.

I recall a GOP debate in 2011/2012 where each candidate tried to one up the others on how tough he'd be on immigration. Romney wanted to fence the entire border. Perry wanted troops and predator drones.Bachman wanted barbed wire and requirements to speak English only. And Herman Cain wanted to electrify the fence. He may have made some unfortunate remark about "frying" people. I'm not sure. It got so out of hand that the next day Stephen Colbert was calling for moats of flaming gasoline.

Good times.

5/04/2015 12:33 pm  #8

Goose wrote:

The large field will pressure candidates to distinguish themselves from each other on policy. This can lead to some interesting and new ideas.
Unfortunately it can also lead to a pandering contest in which the candidates try to one up each other on a hot button issue.

I recall a GOP debate in 2011/2012 where each candidate tried to one up the others on how tough he'd be on immigration. Romney wanted to fence the entire border. Perry wanted troops and predator drones.Bachman wanted barbed wire and requirements to speak English only. And Herman Cain wanted to electrify the fence. He may have made some unfortunate remark about "frying" people. I'm not sure. It got so out of hand that the next day Stephen Colbert was calling for moats of flaming gasoline.

Good times.

The difference is (I think) candidates like Fiorina, Rand Paul, and Rubio are far better, and worthier candidates than Bachmann, Ron Paul, and Cain. I suspect we won't see the same level of outrageousness than we did in 2012.

Time will tell though.

5/04/2015 12:50 pm  #9

I'm thinking that Bush, Rubio, Walker, are at the top of the class.

Paul has a problem with getting angry too easily.

Christie has the Paul Problem. He also has little appeal in the states that republicans usually win.

Cruz I just don't see a path for.

Hucabee is a protest candidate.

Santorum is just running to keep his profile up so that he can continue on the rubber chicken dinner lecture circuit.

Carly might be interesting. She could offer sharp criticism of Clinton with the appearance of being "anti-woman".

I haven't mentioned Ben Carson,,,,,,,,,,,

5/04/2015 12:55 pm  #10

Goose wrote:

I'm thinking that Bush, Rubio, Walker, are at the top of the class. Agreed

Paul has a problem with getting angry too easily. - Disagree and I think he'll court a lot of  millenials

Christie has the Paul Problem. He also has little appeal in the states that republicans usually win. - Christie ain't getting in with the past weekend's issues with the Bridge thing

Cruz I just don't see a path for. - Agreed. Rhetoric too high and focus too dismal

Hucabee is a protest candidate. - And a bad one at that

Santorum is just running to keep his profile up so that he can continue on the rubber chicken dinner lecture circuit. - Like his moxie even if I despise his social policies. 

Carly might be interesting. She could offer sharp criticism of Clinton with the appearance of being "anti-woman". - I'm really interested in hearing what she has to say. 

I haven't mentioned Ben Carson,,,,,,,,,, I'm interested in hearing what he has to say, as well as seeing how he stacks up as an outsider.

Board footera