The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/29/2015 9:14 pm  #21

Re: Goose needs to stop deleting posts

Or a certain poster could stop attacking people.
Just saying,,,,,,,

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/29/2015 9:16 pm  #22

tennyson wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

Maybe there should be some sort of rule for moderators that they can't delete posts of people they are disagreeing with unless the post is clearly obscene.

Maybe a system need to be devised that more than one moderator concurence is required to delete a post. 

One charge was made that a post was changed. IF that occured, the structure should be changed that no one can ever change another person's post. Only that person themself should be able to ever change their own post. 

I need to disagree.  I have made "silent edits" to a few posts these months, always to clear up some pretty glaring typos or spelling that could be embarassing to the author; once or twice to add spaces for paragraph breaks.  That is what mods and administrators do.

It is very easy for a mod or administrator to begin to reply---particularly reply with quote--and inadvertenly begin to edit a post.  That is because where you see just an "quote" button we see three buttons "delete", "edit", and "quote".  Fortunately the "delete" button triggers a popup box asking "are you sure...?"   No such critter for "edit".  So yes, it has happened to me on several occasions that I go to reply and then, crap, notice that I am in "edit"; so quickly back out and hope that no damage has ben done.

As I understand it, that was the situation for Goose earlier this evening.  He restored what had been inadverntently removed.  Unfortunately it was on a very active thread so some noticed the disappearance/ reapperance and probably wondered if his real name was Harry Houdini.

Life is an Orthros.

4/29/2015 9:17 pm  #23

Tarnation wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

Maybe there should be some sort of rule for moderators that they can't delete posts of people they are disagreeing with unless the post is clearly obscene.

Maybe a system need to be devised that more than one moderator concurence is required to delete a post. 

One charge was made that a post was changed. IF that occured, the structure should be changed that no one can ever change another person's post. Only that person themself should be able to ever change their own post. 

I need to disagree.  I have made "silent edits" to a few posts these months, always to clear up some pretty glaring typos or spelling that could be embarassing to the author; once or twice to add spaces for paragraph breaks.  That is what mods and administrators do.

It is very easy for a mod or administrator to begin to reply---particularly reply with quote--and inadvertenly begin to edit a post.  That is because where you see just an "quote" button we see three buttons "delete", "edit", and "quote".  Fortunately the "delete" button triggers a popup box asking "are you sure...?"   No such critter for "edit".  So yes, it has happened to me on several occasions that I go to reply and then, crap, notice that I am in "edit"; so quickly back out and hope that no damage has ben done.

As I understand it, that was the situation for Goose earlier this evening.  He restored what had been inadverntently removed.  Unfortunately it was on a very active thread so some noticed the disappearance/ reapperance and probably wondered if his real name was Harry Houdini.

Thank you, Tarnation.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

4/29/2015 9:24 pm  #24

Tarnation wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Brady Bunch wrote:

Although I understand your reasons for possibly changing posts, I do not think that is a good practice even if as you suggest you think the poster made an error that could even possibly be embarrasing. 

I would still suggest some better formal method of review by more than one person before doing a delete. I know that will be a real pain, but I think it would be worth it. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/29/2015 9:28 pm  #25

You guys need to decide if you want to do anything about personal attacks and thread derailment or not. This was brought up again and again on the old board..
Hey, I'm happy to get in there and mix it up with people. But the message that I got was that we were not to do that.
You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

4/29/2015 9:30 pm  #26

Goose wrote:

You guys need to decide if you want to do anything about personal attacks and thread derailment or not. This was brought up again and again on the old board..
Hey, I'm happy to get in there and mix it up with people. But the message that I got was that we were not to do that.

I don't see a problem with what you are suggesting and my above suggestions. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/29/2015 9:34 pm  #27

tennyson wrote:

Goose wrote:

I don't see a problem with what you are suggesting and my above suggestions. 

I agree.

I don't think we would have any issue getting a 2nd mod to agree to delete an inappropriate post. 

4/29/2015 10:02 pm  #28

tennyson wrote:

Although I understand your reasons for possibly changing posts, I do not think that is a good practice even if as you suggest you think the poster made an error that could even possibly be embarrasing.

I would still suggest some better formal method of review by more than one person before doing a delete. I know that will be a real pain, but I think it would be worth it.

First point:  I should have added in my post that every time I made an edit I sent the author a PM explaining what I'd done and why I had done it.  In every case I had a reply thanking me.

Second point:   No excuse, but an explanation.  Right now we have two Administrators and one Moderator.  Perhaps this should be expanded to 2 A & 3 M; with the deletion of a post requiring the consent of at least two.  But even now, a "second opinion" could--and really should be sought before deleting a post in a thread where a Moderator or Administrator is actively engaging the particpant in question.

Last edited by Tarnation (4/29/2015 10:03 pm)

Life is an Orthros.

4/30/2015 4:31 am  #29

I will be happy to work with the administrators .

Let me re-state my position. Several people, and Brady was one of them were critical of the old exchange. They said that they were frustrated because there was a mean atmosphere. They said that they didn't like the fact that, after a post or two threads were being derailed, even taken into oblivion by peoples' pet peeves or off topic personal back and forths between posters. In fact, they were more than just critical. Several people - and once a gain, Brady was among them - said that these problems led to them not participating in discussions.

I think that they had a point. I took it to heart. But, now that we are actively trying to keep threads on track it seems that people aren't happy with that either. What gives?
BTW, I have not deleted anything because I disagree with an an argument on a topic. I have objected when the man characterized another poster's content as "BS". I have objected when he told another poster that he was "a little slow", and "a dick". I have intervened when he parrots the same off topic taunt repeatedly or put words in other peoples' mouths. In short I have tried to keep threads on subject and to maintain some decorum.

Hey, nobody enjoyed mixing it up with a poison pen more than I did. But people claimed that it was ruining the forum. So, what is it you want again?

4/30/2015 5:16 am  #30

Tarnation wrote:

tennyson wrote:

Second point: No excuse, but an explanation. Right now we have two Administrators and one Moderator. Perhaps this should be expanded to 2 A & 3 M; with the deletion of a post requiring the consent of at least two. But even now, a "second opinion" could--and really should be sought before deleting a post in a thread where a Moderator or Administrator is actively engaging the particpant in question.

That would be a good change in my opinion.

Board footera