The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/23/2018 3:51 pm  #1

For Freedom

NFL owners say players must stand for the National Anthem

NFL players must stand during the National Anthem this season, team owners decided Wednesday, a reaction to fierce backlash against some who took a knee in symbolic opposition to the systemic oppression of people of color, including by police.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said during a news conference at the meeting in Atlanta that teams whose players and personnel do not stand and show respect for the flag and the anthem will be fined by the league.
Each team may develop its own work rules regarding players or personnel who do not comply with the policy, which could include fines. The new policy does give players the option to remain in the locker room during the playing of the anthem if they do not wish to comply.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/23/sport/nfl-spring-league-meeting-national-anthem/index.html

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/24/2018 6:34 am  #2

Re: For Freedom

For the owners, it is all about the $$MONEY$$ !

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/24/2018 7:27 am  #3

I predict that the sidelines will be relatively empty of players during the pre-game activities.

Prior to the influx of money from armed forces advertising into the NFL’s coffers, there were no flag covered fields, color guards, and playing of the Star Spangled Banner at games.

NFL owners also want to maintain their tax free corporate status. I have a feeling that the NFL Players Association will have something to say about this whole Granfalloon, and may have some actions planned for the upcoming season.

5/24/2018 7:48 am  #4

NFL players are just like any other  persons in an employee-employer relationship.

First Amendment rights are limited by the employer, including public comment, verbal or otherwise.

Those who cannot follow the workplace regulations set by the employer (or negotiated through their union) face consequences.

Life is an Orthros.

5/24/2018 7:54 am  #5

Tarnation wrote:

NFL players are just like any other  persons in an employee-employer relationship.

First Amendment rights are limited by the employer, including public comment, verbal or otherwise.

Those who cannot follow the workplace regulations set by the employer (or negotiated through their union) face consequences.

I agree completely. My employers would not like me making political statements in the workplace, and would be within their rights to sanction me for doing so.

I'm just appalled that the entire thing got blown up into a real s-show. It was inappropriate for the President of the United states to get involved in this, and he only did it for political gain. It's also a shame that, on right wing media many posters are calling for people who protest to be charged with crimes or even expelled from the country. They are really missing the entire point of 'freedom'.

I'm also bothered by the fact that - after 9/11 - the playing of the anthem got twisted from an expression of love of country, and respect, to wholesale endorsement of the war. It became a celebration of militarism and jingoism that is most unfortunate.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/24/2018 2:13 pm  #6

Prior to the influx of money from armed forces advertising into the NFL’s coffers, there were no flag covered fields, color guards, and playing of the Star Spangled Banner at games.

rongone is absolutely right on this subject. I'm old enough to remember when ALL the players ran out onto field AFTER the anthem was played.

Last edited by Just Fred (5/24/2018 2:14 pm)

5/24/2018 2:22 pm  #7

Rongone's point is well taken. 
People accuse the kneeing players of politicizing what should be an apolitical moment.
Question, didn't the military-industrial complex do that very thing first?

5/25/2018 5:14 am  #8

I do feel compelled to note, for the record:
The players were NOT disrespecting the flag or our military.
But, the President of the United States decided to make in about that in an effort to pander to his fan base for political benefit. The President created this hysteria in an effort to further divide us, for his own benefit.

Sure, the flag represents our country. It represents our military. But, the flag also represents ideals such as the freedom to speak, and to peacefully  protest. 

5/25/2018 5:39 am  #9

Our Country was founded by people who wanted to be able to be free to express their opinions. Nowadays some want to take that freedom away and make everyone march in lockstep. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera