The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/07/2017 9:41 am  #1

Don Rickles, Dies at 90

Don Rickles, Legendary Comic With a Gift for the Insult, Dies at 90

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/don-rickles-dead-legendary-comic-was-90-720153

"Mr. Warmth" forged a career when he turned the tables on his hecklers, going on to make fun of everyone he encountered — even Frank Sinatra.Don Rickles, the rapid-fire insult machine who for six decades earned quite a living making fun of people of all creeds and colors and everyone from poor slobs to Frank Sinatra, has died. He was 90.

The legendary comic died Thursday at his home in Los Angeles of kidney failure, publicist Paul Shefrin announced.Sarcastically nicknamed “Mr. Warmth,” Rickles had mock disdain for stars, major public figures and all those who paid to see him, tweaking TV audiences and Las Vegas showroom crowds with his acerbic brand of takedown comedy. A good guy and devoted husband away from the stage, Rickles the performer heartlessly laid into everyone he encountered — and they loved it.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

4/07/2017 9:53 am  #2

Re: Don Rickles, Dies at 90

I always has mixed feeling about "insult comedians" including Rickles as I felt it was sometimes a cheap way to get a laugh. That said, some of his appearances were funny.  RIP, Don ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

4/07/2017 10:51 am  #3

If you have a chance, watch Jimmy Kimmel's very touching tribute to Rickels on his show last night. 

The guy had a great career. From the Rat Pack era to my daughter hearing his voice as Mr. Potato Head on the Toy Story trilogy. 

He'll be missed.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

4/07/2017 11:23 am  #4

tennyson wrote:

I always has mixed feeling about "insult comedians" including Rickles as I felt it was sometimes a cheap way to get a laugh. That said, some of his appearances were funny.  RIP, Don ! 

If you look at this Rickles appearance from Comic Relief V from, I'm guessing the late 80's, he would have been crucified in today's social media circus. 

I love insult comedy. I think it's a way to deconstruct the stereotypes we put on one another and show its absurdity. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

4/07/2017 11:26 am  #5

I never thought Rickles or his type of comedy was funny.

4/07/2017 12:11 pm  #6

While Rickles dished out alot of insults, he also took it.  Maybe that's why it worked for him.

Board footera