The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/02/2017 9:31 am  #1

Beef Short-Rib Adobo

Beef Short-Rib Adobo

Craig Lee for The New York Times

This hearty recipe is adapted from "Memories of Philippine Kitchens: Stories and Recipes From Far and Near," by Amy Besa and Romy Dorotan. These short ribs are quite simple to prepare, and after about 2 hours of braising, you end up with intensely flavorful, tender meat that falls from the bone.

INGREDIENTS
3 pounds short ribs
½ teaspoon kosher salt
 Black pepper
3 tablespoons oil
1 cup chicken stock
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup cider vinegar  (The dish is traditionally quite sour. If you prefer, cut the vinegar to 1/2 - 2/3 cup)
½ cup soy sauce
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
3 bay leaves

PREPARATION

Heat the oven to 275 degrees. Season the ribs all over with salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, pour in the oil. When it is warm but not smoking, add the ribs to the pan, in batches if necessary, and brown well on all sides, 4 to 6 minutes. Remove the ribs from the pan and pour out the oil.

Add the remaining ingredients and 1 teaspoon black pepper, stir well, and add the ribs back in one layer. Use two pans if necessary, distributing the liquid. Bring to a boil over high heat. Turn off heat, cover the pan and put it into the oven. Cook until the meat is tender and falling off the bone, about 1 .5 to 2 hours. The liquid should only simmer very gently. Skim off excess fat when you check on it.

Transfer ribs to a broiling pan. Put the braising liquid over high heat; boil for 10 to 15 minutes to thicken it. Meanwhile, put the ribs under the broiler until brown. (You can dispose of the bones if they become loosened.) Put ribs on a platter; pour sauce on them.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/07/2017 2:16 am  #2

Re: Beef Short-Rib Adobo

love short ribs! stewed, in soups. etc

3/08/2017 5:38 pm  #3

I'm seeing short ribs featured a lot in the food media lately.
I love them. They deserve the new attention

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/08/2017 9:19 pm  #4

Second week of Great Lent....this post is cruel and unusual punishment.

But a great idea for the Pascha feast!

Life is an Orthros.

3/08/2017 9:46 pm  #5

O! Lenten time of fast and self-denial
that brings the pilgrim closer to his home
by teaching us that sin must be reviled
and yearly calls the sinner to atone.
But Lord, why must Thou take the meat?
Those other foods You gave us can’t compete.

O! To have a steak or Shepherd’s pie,
perhaps some chicken wings, a slice of ham?
It is a shame Your creatures have to die,
but what a tasty creature is the lamb!
But Lord, why must you take the meat?
‘Tis such a juicy, chewy, treat

O! Lord! When Thou were walking on the earth
the flesh of beasts you seemingly abhorred.
In Israel there must have been a dearth
of those like me — a happy carnivore.
It really was the best thing You could eat.

O! How these forty days do sorely try
the lover of that choicest kind of food.
Yet, verily, I must admit that I
may cast on meat a glance that’s almost lewd.
Without, I fear I’m incomplete.
(Maybe that’s the problem?)

Life is an Orthros.

3/10/2017 5:50 pm  #6

Tarnation wrote:

Second week of Great Lent....this post is cruel and unusual punishment.

But a great idea for the Pascha feast!

Tarnation, I apologize for my ignorance, are you required to abstain from meat for the entire season of lent?

Last edited by Goose (3/10/2017 5:50 pm)

3/10/2017 8:36 pm  #7

Goose,

No apology needed...my post was meant to be jesting...that's why the follow up.

As to your question:

In the Orthodox Church there is abstinence from "fleshmeats" (meaning from any critter with a backbone) not only through all of Lent, but also for the full week preceding (February 19 this year) which is called "Cheesefare week".

It gets tougher:  During Cheesefare week we are still allowed eggs, milk and dairy.  You can guess what's coming:   During Lent not only do we abstain from fleshmeats but also from eggs, milk, and dairy.  And our Lent begins at sundown on Cheesefare Sunday....three days before Ash Wednesday.

So we go 6 full weeks without dairy and 8 full weeks without fleshmeats with two excecptions:  We can have fish on the Feast of the Annunciation (March 25) and on Palm Sunday.

It is rigorous,  It is tough.  But the feasting at Pascha (Easter) is an international buffet beyond description that goes on for a whole week---and can only be truly appreciated if one has been diligent in the Fast.

So the question that many ask is, "what do you do for protein"?   Legumes--peanuts, beans, beans, and more beans.   Hummus.   Lentil soups.   Meatless chili (starting a pot of that tomorrow morning!). And, of course, non-fish seafood:  Shrimp, scallops, oysters, mussels, clams, crabs.

A curious thing happens along the way--by about the third week of the Fast your sweat no longer has an odor, because there are no animal proteins in your body.   Which means that when you go to Confession your Priest knows instantly how observant you have been.

http://www.antiochian.org/lent/entering-lent

Life is an Orthros.

3/11/2017 7:00 am  #8

Thanks, Tarnation. Very interesting.

Board footera