The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/17/2017 1:32 pm  #11

Re: Observations from the News Conference

What I do not understand is this--if many, if not most, in the media see what you all have written--that the man is nuts--what of the people in his administration?  In Congress?  Trumps mental state is so unstable that it is difficult for most reasonable people to not see what is happening.  Yet I hear little or nothing in this regard coming from those closest to him.  Why?

2/17/2017 3:09 pm  #12

flowergirl wrote:

What I do not understand is this--if many, if not most, in the media see what you all have written--that the man is nuts--what of the people in his administration?  In Congress?  Trumps mental state is so unstable that it is difficult for most reasonable people to not see what is happening.  Yet I hear little or nothing in this regard coming from those closest to him.  Why?

Flower, from my perspective, the people that surround Trump continue to support him because they are still blinded by the light of his election. They tend to believe in his propagandized message of 'change', 'draining the swamp', and 'make America great again', despite the fact that he has done absolutely nothing to make those things a reality, nor does it seem that he has any viable plans to bring those things to fruition.

To me it's like watching a real life enactment of George Orwell's Animal Farm with Trump filling the role of the pig named Napolean. The other animals on the farm have bought into his false vision and fear being ostracized if they doubt his message or question his methods.

It's going to be an interesting 4 years.

2/18/2017 6:33 am  #13

The Trumpers believe in the Strong Man leader. They believe in simple solutions to problems that they do not fully understand. They confuse bluster, and bluntness with honesty. They are ill informed. They are so distrustful that they will willingly disbelieve anything if the facts are presented by a source that they perceive as mainstream. They wear their ignorance like a badge of honor. Reality is plastic. There are alternative facts. Lies are really just exaggerations.
And that has led us to this point of extreme danger.

We have serious problems to solve, and we need serious people to solve them. And whatever your particular problem is, I promise you, Donald Trump is not the least bit interested in solving it. He is interested in two things and two things only: making you afraid of it and telling you that he's the only one who can save you. So, he gathers  a group of frustrated, working class voters who remember with longing an easier time, and he talks to them about treasured cliche's of American's lost greatness. He tells that the elites have stolen that greatness. He waves a picture of poor migrants, screams about Bad deals and he tells them, that the Mexicans or some "other" are to blame for their lot in life.

He can't solve their problems. Isn't interested in that. What he is interested in adulation and power. So he gives them shiny objects. He gives them enemies. Liberals, Mexicans, the Media, Celebrities. And he picks fights so that the crowd can have spectacles, chant "Build the Wall, Lock her up", and other such nonsense.

Panem et circenses. Bread and circuses.

Last edited by Goose (2/18/2017 8:06 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/18/2017 7:55 am  #14

What Goose said .............. word for word.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/18/2017 7:55 am)

2/18/2017 10:06 am  #15

I thought this cartoon summed it up pretty well ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/18/2017 12:38 pm  #16

Trump is but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/18/2017 3:52 pm  #17

Thank you all for each excellent response.  It looks like for now at least there are no answers and America will remain in this quandary until Congress comes to it senses and decides to take Constitutional action against this maniac.  When I see the thousands in line for his next campaign speech in Orlando today at 5 I pray Congress moves soon.

2/18/2017 4:12 pm  #18

flowergirl wrote:

Thank you all for each excellent response.  It looks like for now at least there are no answers and America will remain in this quandary until Congress comes to it senses and decides to take Constitutional action against this maniac.  When I see the thousands in line for his next campaign speech in Orlando today at 5 I pray Congress moves soon.

I don't want you to think that Congress WILL move soon. It will not. It will take something coming out that has not at this juncture. Trump is not going to be good for America and will further divide an already divided populace. The saving grace may at least for the present be Congressional Republicans who have to live in Middle America. 

Personally I think Trump himself will be his own unraveling. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera