The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/05/2017 8:04 am  #1

Overrated Tourist Spots

Inner Harbor, Baltimore.

Hey, it was a great thing for the city back in the day. It was described by the Urban Land Institute in 2009 as “the model for post-industrial waterfront redevelopment around the world.

On my last visit, I saw a bunch of bars, crappy shops selling T-shirts, and over priced, mediocre crab cakes.
Safety is another concern.

My advice for a day in a fun city. Go to Annapolis.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/05/2017 8:47 am  #2

Re: Overrated Tourist Spots

Agreed. The last two time I've been down to the Inner Harbor, it's been for industry conferences and found it to be transformed into a corporate and tourist haven.

In Philly, it's South Street. Back in the day (the 80's in my day) it had a whole counter-culture vibe and all kinds of cool little music clubs and independent record and clothing stores. 

These days, it's mainstream and neon and bland.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/05/2017 11:23 am  #3

I also find San Antonio's "Riverwalk" to be very overrated.
It's not much more than a ditch with retail shops on either side.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

1/05/2017 11:28 am  #4

Times Square, too.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

1/05/2017 12:28 pm  #5

I agree.
So as not to be overly negative, I will point out two urban destinations that are wonderful.
1. Boston's North end. Great restaurants, Italian delis, a real neighborhood. Religious festivals.
Great fun.

2. San Francisco's Golden Gate park.
An urban oasis with trees, a japanese tea garden, museums, biking paths.

1/05/2017 12:43 pm  #6

I'm with you on Golden Gate Park. 

In Philly, Fishtown is the place to be these days. 

1/05/2017 2:10 pm  #7

Since I never got to the Inner Harbor it looks like I need to cross it of my list of places to visit.

1/05/2017 2:13 pm  #8

This is what typically happens, and I'll use NYC as an example, but you can apply this to almost anywhere:

At one time the Washington Square area and the West Village were the 'happening' places to be.  Great little shops, clubs, pubs, and residences occupied by poets, songwriters, artisans and artists.  A great vibe begins to grow.

As a place or area becomes popular, the rents begin to rise, corporate interests begin to focus on the neighborhood because it's "the place to be" and that's where "the action is".  They start buying up apartment buildings, the little mom and pop stores, cafes, etc., and we find Starbucks and similar chains emerging.  The area becomes too expensive and commercialized for the poets, singers, songwriters, actors, artisans and artists to live there and they move out.

The very thing that made an area a "happening" place disappears and those who were responsible for the 'vibe' are gone in search of more affordable places to inhabit.  You can almost trace this scenerio  throughout the various neighborhoods that occupy Manhattan Island. 

1/06/2017 6:58 am  #9

Just Fred wrote:

This is what typically happens, and I'll use NYC as an example, but you can apply this to almost anywhere:

At one time the Washington Square area and the West Village were the 'happening' places to be.  Great little shops, clubs, pubs, and residences occupied by poets, songwriters, artisans and artists.  A great vibe begins to grow.

As a place or area becomes popular, the rents begin to rise, corporate interests begin to focus on the neighborhood because it's "the place to be" and that's where "the action is".  They start buying up apartment buildings, the little mom and pop stores, cafes, etc., and we find Starbucks and similar chains emerging.  The area becomes too expensive and commercialized for the poets, singers, songwriters, actors, artisans and artists to live there and they move out.

The very thing that made an area a "happening" place disappears and those who were responsible for the 'vibe' are gone in search of more affordable places to inhabit.  You can almost trace this scenerio  throughout the various neighborhoods that occupy Manhattan Island. 

Good post. I am hearing that something similar is happening in Venice.
Huge cruise ships are coming in. More tourists are coming in,
Residents are being priced out. Venice is in danger of being Disneyfied,, and the vibe will move to another place.

Last edited by Goose (1/06/2017 6:59 am)

Board footera