The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2016 8:48 pm  #1

Decency on this forum?

What exactly are the rules for decency on this forum, or are there any? Months back, I remember posting my thoughts on Bernie Sanders' 'movement', I called it a bowel movement.  Nothing too harsh, being a bit humorous, and I was quickly reprimanded, post deleted, told that was inappropriate.

Now we have a poster here who has his avatar picture displayed as the President elect Donald Trump as Hitler, and nothing.  Let it go.

This place makes zero sense a lot of the time.

12/19/2016 9:11 pm  #2

Re: Decency on this forum?

This is a place that backs free speech.

Personally, I think the comparison between Hitler and Trump is dopey but is not abusive or offensive to the point where I think it should be removed.

As for deleting any previous posts, I am on the record as saying I'm generally against it so long as the comment is not obscene nor overly offensive by modern day standards.

In fact, I can't think of a post I've ever deleted.

That said, moderators and administrators are free to use their best judgment.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

12/19/2016 9:40 pm  #3

TheLagerLad wrote:

Personally, I think the comparison between Hitler and Trump is dopey but is not abusive or offensive to the point where I think it should be removed.

As for deleting any previous posts, I am on the record as saying I'm generally against it so long as the comment is not obscene nor overly offensive by modern day standards.

So it's basically anything goes? A picture of Obama as a monkey or an Islamic terrorist would be dopey, but apparently it would be ok here?

Last edited by The Man (12/19/2016 9:42 pm)

12/20/2016 5:44 am  #4

Free speech is free speech. 
The concept isn't worth a bucket of spit if it only applies to that with which you agree.

I believe that Donald Trump is an egomaniac whose only guiding principle is self advancement. His ideology is authoritarian, and I believe he will drift towards fascism if left unchecked.
And whether I choose to state it in written form, or by an image that conveys the same point is my right, and my business. You are, of course free to offer your own opinions. That's how it works.

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” 
George Orwell

Last edited by Goose (12/20/2016 5:53 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/20/2016 9:20 am  #5

The Man wrote:

TheLagerLad wrote:

So it's basically anything goes? A picture of Obama as a monkey or an Islamic terrorist would be dopey, but apparently it would be ok here?

Obama as a "monkey" would be overtly racist, and therefore offensive.

Obama as a terrorist would be dopey, but not offensive. 

So no, it's not "anything goes"

Personally, whenever I read or see something where someone is compared to Hitler, I do a quick Google Search just to remind myself of the death, destruction, and evil Hitler brought upon the world.

There's nothing to indicate Donald Trump will end up being the next Adolf Hitler. To promote that idea is dumb in my opinion. 

But it's not offensive. 

Edit to add: I think it is equally as dumb when discussing sensible gun legislation, pro-gun types throw out the comparison between additional background checks in the United States to Hitler's banning Jews from having guns in Nazi Germany.

Last edited by TheLagerLad (12/20/2016 9:25 am)

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

12/20/2016 9:22 am  #6

Hey, there ya go, making the mistake of taking me literally and not seriously,,,,,,

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/20/2016 9:28 am  #7

Comparing Trump to Hitler Is Worst Kind of Hate Speech

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/20/2016 9:30 am  #8

"He or she that resorts to a Nazi Germany or Hitler comparison loses the argument. This is because there is nothing that can compare to that diabolical aberration or person. In addition, usually those making the comparison have not done their homework, and are lazily latching onto to one aspect of the thing they despise."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-marshall-crotty/comparing-trump-to-hitler_b_9334668.html

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/20/2016 9:31 am  #9

Looks like Santa is bringing a stockingful of irony to the exchange this Christmas!
To watch the board's  two biggest purveyor's of mean-spirited mocking and name calling piously intone for "decency" is, well, really special.
Thanks.

And look, I've given you two something to feign outrage over.
Merry Chr,,,,,ahem, I mean Happy Holidays,,. 

BTW, those who are not ignorant of history, (that is, those who can do more than cut and paste), will know that there are, in fact plenty of examples of individuals approaching the levels of evil in Hitler's twisted soul. Nazi Germany was unique in the scale at which they were able to perform evil deeds.

Last edited by Goose (12/20/2016 9:43 am)

12/20/2016 9:32 am  #10

TheLagerLad wrote:

The Man wrote:

TheLagerLad wrote:

Obama as a "monkey" would be overtly racist, and therefore offensive.

Obama as a terrorist would be dopey, but not offensive. 

So no, it's not "anything goes"

Personally, whenever I read or see something where someone is compared to Hitler, I do a quick Google Search just to remind myself of the death, destruction, and evil Hitler brought upon the world.

There's nothing to indicate Donald Trump will end up being the next Adolf Hitler. To promote that idea is dumb in my opinion. 

But it's not offensive. 

Edit to add: I think it is equally as dumb when discussing sensible gun legislation, pro-gun types throw out the comparison between additionall background checks in the United States to Hitler's banning Jews from having guns in Nazi Germany.

Yep, for sure it is a fine line when we look at the notion of free speech vs censorship. I tend to back your interpretation, but I am sure we will NEVER get totally agreement on such things. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera