The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/03/2015 10:45 pm  #61

Re: The Random Thoughts Thread

Winter's last lashing?  Not even close, CT.  The current forecast, depending one one's closeness to Mr. Mason & Mr. Dixon is: rain all day Wednesday then.....................4"  to 6" of SNOW on Thursday.  The fact that I live near the turnpike means the higher amount.   

3/06/2015 9:11 pm  #62

Damn it!

The last journal post I did, the formatting stayed the same.  Thought the problem was solved.

Tried to post today's entry.  It's coming up as one paragraph again.

Really not in the mood to spend twenty minutes putting the spaces back in.

I'll try again tomorrow.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

3/21/2015 5:41 pm  #63

Just wanted to say ahead of time.  I've been avoiding posting my journal here because having to go through liine by line to add the spaces and paragraphs back is seriously annoying.  Sorry.  I'll try to do better.

03/21/2015

The mood is very good. I feel alright.

I think about death...a lot.

Not in a morbid, dismal manner but as more of a curiosity. I mean what is the purpose of death? What function does it serve? What, exactly, is it? That's last one is a big, big question because everyone dies and no human has ever returned from death to tell the story.

There will probably be some objections on that last sentence from the religious crowd.

I would like to point out that Joshua was a demi-god, not a human. The rules are different. Very different apparently.

So if the afterlife is so great, why does everyone resist it so much? If it's paradise, shouldn't you be thanking the chap that's murdering you? Shouldn't you just pull the plug yourself? If the afterlife is better that actual life, why bother with that first step at all?

Screw Earth, I'll take the express train to Nirvana.

But that doesn't happen. Not ever. I think people fear death because they know, deep down, that all it is is everything that makes you you shutting down. For ever. This is that Tomas of Coventry thing I was talking about in the last post.

I was with my dad at the moment he died. His breathing just got slower, and slower and then it stopped. That was it. I studied him very carefully. There was no spirit. There was no great release of energy. Nothing at all. This unit is no longer functional.

I'm fairly sure I understand at least something about death. If you've ever been under a general anesthetic then you've experienced death too. It's that moment, just after the put the little cup over you nose. There's a hiss, then everything goes away until you wake up.

The period between the hiss and the awakening is what we can all expect. Without the awakening part.

Overall, death kind of pisses me off. It's useless, serves no purpose, just upsets people. There are times when I would trade away my self awareness in an instant. Then I wouldn't know about death.

But that isn't going to happen either.

When it's your time, I strongly recommend kicking The Grim Reaper squarely in the crotch as hard as you can and running away.

It could happen.

Or not.

Thanks for listening.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

3/21/2015 11:24 pm  #64

CT, do you suppose it's possible that you don't fully believe that there's nothing after death if you think so much about it? What I mean is, if there really is nothing, why take so much time thinking about it? It sounds more to me like you're searching. Whether it be "religious" or "scientific" or something else. Maybe I'm totally wrong, it was just a thought.

3/22/2015 8:42 am  #65

BYOB wrote:

CT, do you suppose it's possible that you don't fully believe that there's nothing after death if you think so much about it? What I mean is, if there really is nothing, why take so much time thinking about it? It sounds more to me like you're searching. Whether it be "religious" or "scientific" or something else. Maybe I'm totally wrong, it was just a thought.

The reason I think about it so much is that Thomas of Coventry thing.

What's mostly on my mind is how much is lost when another brain dies.

Can you imagine how many stories have been lost?,  Or thoughts?  Or experiences?

What bothers me most about death is the utter waste of an entire life.

-Me again

3/22/2015 8:48 am  #66

If the inevitability of human oblivion worries you, I encourage you to ignore it.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/22/2015 8:54 am  #67

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

BYOB wrote:

Can you imagine how many stories have been lost?,  Or thoughts?  Or experiences?

Out of curiosity, do you believe in the soul?

3/22/2015 9:50 am  #68

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

BYOB wrote:

I would suggest that family and friends carry on a legacy of stories, thoughts, and experiences.
Consciously and unconsciously.

"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality."    His Holiness, The 14th Dalai Lama

3/22/2015 11:17 am  #69

Rongone wrote:

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

BYOB wrote:

I would suggest that family and friends carry on a legacy of stories, thoughts, and experiences.

"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." His Holiness, The 14th Dalai Lama

I love the Dalai Lama! What a wise and wonderful man. Even if you aren't into that 'religion', there is so much to be learned from him. If he was my neighbor, I would constantly be next door seeking his point of view and thoughts on many subjects.

For the record, I hate death. That being said, one has to wonder what real meaning life would have if death didn't exist. The physical brain, like science, can only tell you how, not why. That's where I think the soul comes in. I feel that we are physically essentially the same, it's the soul that makes us each different. And to date, science can not measure and prove the existence of the soul.

Last edited by BYOB (3/22/2015 11:17 am)

3/22/2015 1:47 pm  #70

BYOB wrote:

Rongone wrote:

Conspiracy Theory wrote:

"Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality." His Holiness, The 14th Dalai Lama

That being said, one has to wonder what real meaning life would have if death didn't exist. The physical brain, like science, can only tell you how, not why. That's where I think the soul comes in. I feel that we are physically essentially the same, it's the soul that makes us each different. And to date, science can not measure and prove the existence of the soul.

I am also of the opinion that immortality would be worse than death.

However it could be more bearable if we weren't so restricted.  I want to get off of this world.  I want to know what things are like out there.  I want to explore the totality of what is, see every story, know every mind.

It's a lot to ask.  But if there were an afterlife, I would want that.

There has just been too much of this in my lifetime.  Too many people taking their own lives.  I can't help but wonder if, as they passed the point where there was no going back and saw the abyss of oblivion closing around them if they said "No, wait, I've changed my mind".

I want to understand.

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (3/22/2015 1:50 pm)

-Me again

Board footera