The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/05/2016 3:57 pm  #21

Re: Tuition Free Post Secondary Ed.

What might be worth considering on the federal level is some sort of federal student loan forgiveness for students who offer their services to some sort of program after they graduate .-  Brady

That's not necessarily a bad idea.  Maybe something like AmeriCorp, or community service, or a program designed as a 'payback' for the tuition-free post-secondary ed. afforded to them.  I wonder if any nations have this kind of setup?

P.S.  I like this subforum for addressing issues only instead of the tribal lobbing of bombs back-and-forth.  However, I'm not opposed to launching a bomb now and then, myself. 

Last edited by Just Fred (9/05/2016 4:03 pm)

9/05/2016 4:32 pm  #22

Is "it should be left to the states"  an actual plan to improve anything?

Last edited by Goose (9/05/2016 4:33 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/05/2016 6:28 pm  #23

Is "it should be left to the states"  an actual plan to improve anything?  -  Goose

I say no.    We either have an United States or we don't.  For me, that applies to national defense, healthcare, and education.  The number 1, 2, and 3 priorities for any nation.

9/06/2016 4:42 am  #24

I'm thinking that, if one looks at what the states are doing now and assumes that it continues, well-run states that value education - such as Massachusetts - will continue to excel, while laggards such as Mississippi would continue to poorly educate their poor citizens who will then be doomed to remain poor.
I think that we need to aim higher than that.

I agree, Fred, if national defense is too important to be left to the states, so is education.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

9/06/2016 8:35 am  #25

I'm guessing the biggest stumbling block would be to convince enough people that education needs to be a national priority on par with national defense.  I feel the same way about healthcare.

9/06/2016 9:11 am  #26

I would point out that education improves lives of the citizens and makes our nation more competative on the world stage, and thus more likely to be secure.
To me, that would fit a broad interpretation of  promoting the general Welfare, and securing the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity.

Definitely a national priority.

Last edited by Goose (9/06/2016 9:12 am)

10/05/2016 2:10 pm  #27

I received my Associate's Degree in Business Administration in July of 2014. I'm a few classes away from finishing my Bachelor's Degree in the same field.

I paid a $50 application fee to University of the People.

That is literally the only money I've paid the entire time.

University of the People is accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission, which is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation as a recognized accrediting agency.

Tuition-free post secondary education already exists in the United States. Do I think it needs to expand? Obviously. But at this point I don't think it's necessarily a problem that our politicians need to become involved in. It's a marketing and word-of-mouth problem. Just spread the word and watch it go.

Last edited by opendoug (10/05/2016 2:10 pm)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10/07/2016 7:23 am  #28

I checked out a few articles and reviews of University of the People, Doug.  It looks like a promising concept for certain degree programs.  I wish you luck with it.  We've met a couple of times a few years ago, and you seem like the kind of guy who has the drive, desire, and ability to make it work for you.  Keep us posted on your progress.

Board footera