The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/16/2016 1:43 pm  #1

Happy Birthday Julia

Julia Child would have turned 104 yesterday. Sadly, she died in 2004.

Child unlocked the mysteries of French cooking for a generation of Americans raised on Velveeta and jello molds.
She was important.
And hilarious.

My favorite Julia Child quote?
 "I enjoy cooking with wine. Sometimes, I even put it in the food . . ."

http://www.tastingtable.com/dine/national/julia-child-funny-quotes-birthday-cooking-wine-cake-butter?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=organic

People loved to do impressions of Julia, non better than Dan Aykryoid on SNL 
http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/the-french-chef/n8667

Last edited by Goose (8/16/2016 1:45 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/16/2016 3:07 pm  #2

Re: Happy Birthday Julia

The local PBS station WITF was showing her old shows for awhile in which she observed famous chefs of the time preparing dishes.  Julia is well up in years in these shows but still had her own show. 

8/16/2016 3:14 pm  #3

I am NO cook, but I always enjoyed her on TV. 

Her background in WWII also is very interesting in itself. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/16/2016 6:44 pm  #4

Yes, her life as well as her husband's go well beyond slapping a chicken around in a  kitchen--as she was famous for doing.  Their WWII involvement in espionage is intriguing.  Has there ever been a show done just on their WWII activities?

8/17/2016 7:05 am  #5

I don't know if there has been a show about that.

The Wikipedia account really doesn't do the story justice, but I'll present it here.

World War II
Child joined the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) after finding that she was too tall to enlist in the Women's Army Corps (WACs) or in the U.S. Navy's WAVES.[6] She began her OSS career as a typist at its headquarters in Washington, but because of her education and experience soon was given a more responsible position as a top secret researcher working directly for the head of OSS, General William J. Donovan.[7]

As a research assistant in the Secret Intelligence division, she typed 10,000 names on white note cards to keep track of officers. For a year, she worked at the OSS Emergency Rescue Equipment Section (ERES) in Washington, D.C. as a file clerk and then as an assistant to developers of a shark repellent needed to ensure that sharks would not explode ordnance targeting German U-boats. In 1944 she was posted to Kandy, Ceylon (now Sri Lanka), where her responsibilities included "registering, cataloging and channeling a great volume of highly classified communications" for the OSS's clandestine stations in Asia.[8] She was later posted to Kunming, China; where she received the Emblem of Meritorious Civilian Service as head of the Registry of the OSS Secretariat.[9] When Child was asked to solve the problem of too many of OSS underwater explosives being set off by curious sharks. "Child's solution was to experiment with cooking various concoctions as a shark repellent," which were sprinkled in the water near the explosives and repelled sharks.[10] Still in use today, the experimental shark repellent "marked Child's first foray into the world of cooking..." [10] For her service, Child received an award that cited her many virtues, including her "drive and inherent cheerfulness."[7] As with other OSS records, her file was declassified in 2008, however, unlike other files, her complete file is available online.[11]

While in Kunming, she met Paul Cushing Child, also an OSS employee, and the two were married September 1, 1946, in Lumberville, Pennsylvania,[12] later moving to Washington, D.C. A New Jersey native[13] who had lived in Paris as an artist and poet, Paul was known for his sophisticated palate,[14] and introduced his wife to fine cuisine. He joined the United States Foreign Service, and in 1948 the couple moved to Paris when the US State Department assigned Paul there as an exhibits officer with the United States Information Agency.[9] The couple had no children.

Post-war France
Child repeatedly recalled her first meal in Rouen as a culinary revelation; once, she described the meal of oysters, sole meunière, and fine wine to The New York Times as "an opening up of the soul and spirit for me." In Paris, she attended the famous Le Cordon Bleu cooking school and later studied privately with Max Bugnard and other master chefs.[15] She joined the women's cooking club Le Cercle des Gourmettes, through which she met Simone Beck, who was writing a French cookbook for Americans with her friend Louisette Bertholle. Beck proposed that Child work with them, to make the book appeal to Americans. In 1951, Child, Beck, and Bertholle began to teach cooking to American women in Child's Paris kitchen, calling their informal school L'école des trois gourmandes (The School of the Three Food Lovers). For the next decade, as the Childs moved around Europe and finally to Cambridge, Massachusetts, the three researched and repeatedly tested recipes. Child translated the French into English, making the recipes detailed, interesting, and practical.

In 1963, the Childs built a home near the Provence town of Plascassier in the hills above Cannes on property belonging to co-author Simone Beck and her husband, Jean Fischbacher. The Childs named it "La Pitchoune", a Provençal word meaning "the little one" but over time the property was often affectionately referred to simply as "La Peetch".[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Child

Last edited by Goose (8/17/2016 7:15 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera