The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/25/2016 8:27 pm  #1

The Double Standard

When I moderated this board, there was outrage anytime I deleted a post.
I would explain that it was inflammatory, or off topic.
But it was to no avail.
Posters pompously intoned that it violated "free speech". It was, gasp, "censorship".
I was told that there was no reason to remove a post unless it was obscene or threatening.

Now the very same thing is happening. 
posts are being deleted merely because people don't like them.
And there is no outrage at all.

Please explain.

Last edited by Goose (7/25/2016 8:28 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/26/2016 7:10 am  #2

Re: The Double Standard

I haven't deleted anything recently.

When it is necessary to remove a post I notify the individual in question by PM if that option is available.

I did notice there was a veritable flood of complaints yesterday so it appears one of the administrators wisely ended the problem by ending the thread.

A word of advice to everyone.  Unless you are asking a direct question relative to the topic, it would be a good idea not to use another member's name in a post.  If you're replying to a post, please avoid critiquing the post and/or the individual who posted it.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

7/26/2016 7:13 am  #3

Goose wrote:

When I moderated this board, there was outrage anytime I deleted a post.
I would explain that it was inflammatory, or off topic.
But it was to no avail.
Posters pompously intoned that it violated "free speech". It was, gasp, "censorship".
I was told that there was no reason to remove a post unless it was obscene or threatening.

Now the very same thing is happening. 
posts are being deleted merely because people don't like them.
And there is no outrage at all.

Please explain.

There is no double standard here. You time after time as a moderator deleted posts for NO reason and everyone here knows it. EVERY time there is a dust up you are one of the people involved.

You were removed as a mod and went on a weeks long little hissy fit!  First you spent days deleting posts on the site for no reason other than just to make a mess of them. Then you were completely banned from the site. You stalked the site. What the heck?

Some weeks weeks after being banned you show up again with a new account attacking the admins, the new moderator, all most of the posters here. Rants like I have never seen before. But the best was your new icon. A photo of a guy flipping everyone off. A great big *uck You New Exchange. Why Lager let you back is beyond me. You promised to act in a civil manner but that promise has gone down the toilet  But I had no doubt that that's what would happen. So here we are on the same road as before. Nothing has changed!

Please, please stop your chronic complaining, You can’t delete posts so now you are going to cry like a two year old when you don’t get your way.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

7/26/2016 7:16 am  #4

I'm afraid I have to disagree with you commonsense. There  most certainly is a double standard.  More than one, in fact. People went crazy when I deleted posts that were nothing more than off topic personal rants. Folks objected, and some  wrote that a moderator should never delete anything several months ago.  Others argued that both moderators would have to agree before a post was deleted. Another person argued that every member of the exchange would have to be polled before anything was deleted.  It's all right there you can look it up.
Now they're OK with a dozen posts being clipped at one sitting. That's one.

In addition, two posters have written incredibly hateful things about me for about a year and a half. Our unofficial scold, Brady Bunch, has never once reacted. But if I write something the least bit edgy he's there to complain. So there's a double standard. That's two.

Now you author a vitriolic attack because I offered a complaint in the general business section.
You took to the general business section several times when you believed you had a grievance. But, apparently you find it unacceptable for me to do so.

Yet another double standard.

BTW, smearing someone as being like a two year old when he offers a complaint is abusive and small minded. Hardly a way to encourage genial discussion.
But, no worries. You will get away with it.
Of that I am certain.

Last edited by Goose (7/26/2016 7:40 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/26/2016 8:54 am  #5

Okay, this thread's done.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

7/26/2016 11:15 am  #6

I didn't delete anything. 

This bullshit has got to stop you guys. 

I created this board, I can make it vanish with the push of a button.

I DO NOT WANT IT TO COME TO THAT!

Work it out. Get along. Be respectful.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

Board footera