The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/24/2015 7:51 am  #1

The Oscars

I watched the entire Oscar Night celebration.  I must say I found it to be entertaining, and came away with a couple impressions.  Of the films nominated for various awards, I only saw "The Grand Budapest Hotel", but I'm now interested in going to see "Birdman", "The Imitation Game", and "The Theory of Everything".  Also included on my list is "Mr. Turner", the biography of the artist JMW Turner.  I realize that doesn't have blockbuster appeal to most people.

As a side note, Lady Gaga blew me away with her singing performance of several songs from the "Sound of Music".  For me, that was the real highlight of the evening.

Last edited by Just Fred (2/24/2015 8:02 am)

2/24/2015 8:42 am  #2

Re: The Oscars

Lady Gaga should give up the meat dresses and other gimmicks. She doesn't need them because that girl can sing!
This summer I'm going to see her perform American classics with Tony Bennett at Tanglewood.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/24/2015 9:03 am  #3

I only watched the first half. Found it to be kind of a boring show this year. 

Like Fred, the only best picture movie I saw this year was Grand Budapest. But I downloaded the rest last night and will give them a watch in the upcoming weeks. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/24/2015 11:15 am  #4

I stopped watching any awards show years ago.  Too many of them full of people patting each other on the back--or sometimes on the butt, espousing their own personal agendas and all around, very boring. 
Hearing and reading so much of Lady Gaga's singing I would have liked to hear her singing without all the ridiculousness that is usually a part of her.

2/24/2015 12:32 pm  #5

Flower, I'm sure you can find it on the internet.  Lasts about 5 mins. and worth watching and listening to her.

2/24/2015 1:28 pm  #6

I did find her singing on the internet. Fred.  Except for blowing the last note I was blown away not only by her singing but her style--except for the large tatoos on her upper arms!  When Dame Julie Andrew came out the audience went wild.  I noted that her name was not prefaced with her title, Dame.

2/24/2015 5:39 pm  #7

I here ya, Flower.  All I was trying to say was that my opinion of Lady Gaga was changed a bit.  Actually, I ran into her in Lititz at the Bull's Head pub a couple of years ago.  She seemed 'normal', but all I could picture was her stage appearance.  From my short experience, she was quite just like everyone else in the pub at the time. 

Board footera