The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/15/2015 7:27 am  #1

MLB refuses to overturn Pete Rose's lifetime ban

Rose continued to gamble even while trying to get the lifetime ban reversed?
It's a real shame that “Charlie Hustle” is banned for life but it's of his own doing.

MLB refuses to overturn Pete Rose's lifetime ban

Read the full story here:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/14/pete-rose-plea-for-reinstatement-rejected-by-rob-manfred/?intcmp=hplnws

CINCINNATI –  Pete Rose's application for reinstatement to baseball was rejected Monday by Commissioner Rob Manfred, who concluded the career hits leader continued to gamble even while trying to end his lifetime ban and would be a risk to the sport's integrity if allowed back in the game.Rose agreed to the ban in August 1989 after an investigation for Major League Baseball by lawyer John Dowd found Rose placed numerous bets on the Cincinnati Reds to win from 1985-87 while playing for and managing the team.

"Mr. Rose's public and private comments, including his initial admission in 2004, provide me with little confidence that he has a mature understanding of his wrongful conduct, that he has accepted full responsibility for it, or that he understands the damage he has caused," Manfred wrote. "I am also not convinced that he has avoided the type of conduct and associations that originally led to his placement on the permanently ineligible list."

Rose was the 1963 NL Rookie of the Year, 1973 MVP and 1975 World Series MVP. A three-time NL batting champion, he had 4,256 hits from 1963-86, topping the mark of 4,191 set by Ty Cobb from 1905-28.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

12/15/2015 10:10 am  #2

Re: MLB refuses to overturn Pete Rose's lifetime ban

I don't know his real age but to look at him I'm thinking he's definitely waaaay beyond the age of playing professional baseball--or anything else.  Why does he think he can play again and should be allowed to play?????  He needs to go away and stay away.

Last edited by flowergirl (12/15/2015 10:11 am)

12/15/2015 10:18 am  #3

flowergirl,

This isn't about him wanting to play, this is banning him from any baseball activities with the league itself.  Therefore, no induction to the hall of fame and no employment with any team (such as manager, coach or front office job)

12/15/2015 1:25 pm  #4

Thanks for enlightening me.  He still needs to go away and stay away.

12/31/2015 1:08 pm  #5

I say keep him out of baseball, in terms of getting a job with a MLB team or even a minor league affiliate, but I will always stand by my belief that he needs to be in the Hall of Fame.

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

12/31/2015 3:47 pm  #6

I will always stand by my belief that he needs to be in the Hall of Fame.  -  Lager

Me, too.

Board footera