The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/16/2015 10:20 am  #1

Make what you're worth ?

Did anyone else hear the new Allstate commercial on the radio ? You must listen carefully and think about what is actually being said. 

The premise is that unless you own/run you own Allstate branch, you're NOT making what you're worth. 

Are we so used to having our worth/labor being used up by ownership that we are used to it ?
If you're working for someone you're NOT making what you're worth ?

6/16/2015 12:16 pm  #2

Re: Make what you're worth ?

So--are we all supposed to sign up to own an Allstate branch?

6/16/2015 4:06 pm  #3

Awesome.  Lets all own an insurance franchise!  We don't need value adding industry that actually produces goods that make money and grow the economy dammit!  It's about as smart as saying that we should all be nurses, or government employees.

6/17/2015 7:34 am  #4

Didn't hear the ad.
Can I assume that they were trying to get people to start an insurance franchise?
If so, of course they are going to make it sound attractive. That's advertising.

Also, fair or not, it has always been very difficult to get rich working for someone else. If getting wealthy is your #1 priority, you should consider owning a business.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/17/2015 3:01 pm  #5

Goose wrote:

Didn't hear the ad.
Can I assume that they were trying to get people to start an insurance franchise?
If so, of course they are going to make it sound attractive. That's advertising.

Also, fair or not, it has always been very difficult to get rich working for someone else. If getting wealthy is your #1 priority, you should consider owning a business.

Yes, I assume(d) that's what it's about also.
But, there is a major difference from getting wealthy to------>>>> making what you're worth, kind of sounds bad in general to think if you don't "own/boss of" you're getting ripped off.  

6/17/2015 3:13 pm  #6

Remember that guy a couple months ago that gave every employee a base of $70,000. ? Everyone said he's nuts, but maybe he had had enough of keeping his employees earnings to himself (since he's the boss and can do as he pleases) and decided to pay them what they're worth. ? 

6/17/2015 3:37 pm  #7

It's advertising. They want to make owning a franchise seem as attractive as possible.
Just like how buying a certain car will supposedly get you girls.
I don't think that they were aiming to offend you.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/17/2015 4:05 pm  #8

No, they didn't offend me, "unless your an owner, you're not making what you're worth", that was the commercial. 
I think it was actually a nugget of truth, it does seem attractive, on the surface. But under that surface is the truth on how things work in this country. 

6/22/2015 1:33 pm  #9

How does one determine what their work is worth?

6/23/2015 9:38 am  #10

Goose wrote:

How does one determine what their work is worth?

One has no say (unless self-employed) of what they are worth. 
Since labor was turned into a saleable commodity long, long ago.

Board footera