The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2015 8:01 am  #1

Death Penalty Moratorium

I see that Governor Wolf has imposed a moratorium on the death penalty here in PA.  I've always been an anti-death penalty guy, so I support the move.  How about you?

2/14/2015 9:07 am  #2

Re: Death Penalty Moratorium

I recently saw a special about the fact that something like 25% of all inmates on death row are innocent! And there have been quite a few people freed lately after serving their entire lives in prison, after being found innocent. So, no, I am not in favor of the death penalty. There's some saying about rather wanting a guilty man to be set free than condemning an innocent man.

2/14/2015 6:27 pm  #3

Personally, I consider execution somewhat barbaric.

From a punative standpoint, I think facing a lifetime in a cage is a far worse punishment than being put to death.

What I find really troubling is how people view executions.  When hanging was in vogue it seemed like it was some sort of holiday.  People would travel for miles with their familiies to watch an execution.

When Timothy McVey's execution was scheduled, the Fox network put in a colossal bid to televise the event.  They were refused, but imagine it.  A fucking televised execution.  The truly sickening part is they probably would have had millions of viewers.

Last edited by Conspiracy Theory (2/14/2015 6:27 pm)

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/21/2015 12:21 pm  #4

Couple thoughts.

1 -- Pennsylvania has only executed three people since the 70's. Maybe it's our Quaker heritage or whatever, but although we send a lot of people to death row, we don't pull the trigger all that often so to speak. So I don't see the moratorium being that big of a deal.

2 -- I think the moratoruim is good insomuch as it's necessary to review policies and procedures from time to time to ensure we have the best processes in place so when it does become necessary to carry out the ultimate punishment, we don't end up looking like Oklahoma.

3 -- This should be a temporary moratorium. 6 months or so. If there is to be any permanent change to the death penalty, Wolf should take a bill to the house. 

I think you're going to see a lot of different United States of America over the next three, four, or eight years. - President Donald J. Trump

2/21/2015 4:18 pm  #5

Why Wolf's moratorium on the death penalty will fail (letter)By John M. Morganelli
Read the full letter here:
http://www.ydr.com/letters/ci_27565381/why-wolfs-moratorium-death-penalty-will-fail-letterGov. Wolf did not impose a "moratorium" on Pennsylvania's death penalty. He has no such authority and he knows that. The governor was properly advised by Judge Timothy K. Lewis, former U.S. Court of Appeals Judge, that there exists no authority in the office of Pennsylvania governor to declare a moratorium or suspend the death penalty. What the governor did was to grant a "reprieve" to one death row inmate who was scheduled for an imminent execution. The granting of a "reprieve" is one of the governor's powers with respect to clemency in Article IV, Section 9(a) of the Pennsylvania Constitution. The other two are the power to "commute" a death sentence to life and to grant a "pardon." The latter two, however, cannot be exercised by the governor unless recommended by the Pennsylvania Board of Pardons. With respect to commuting a death sentence to life, the recommendation must be unanimous.Under Pennsylvania law, the issuance of execution warrants by the executive branch is a mandatory duty. That precedent was established in Morganelli v. Casey, a case I brought in 1994 against then Gov. Robert Casey. Today, the governor is given 90 days to sign a death warrant after receiving the case from the Pennsylvania Supreme Court. If the governor does not sign the execution warrant, the execution date must be set by the Department of Corrections and the execution proceeds without the governor's signature. Accordingly, Judge Lewis advised the governor that executions must proceed and that the use of the "reprieve" power was the only constitutional basis for creating a "defacto" moratorium. The governor has stated that he will grant "reprieves" for subsequent scheduled executions for each death row inmate at least until the release of an impending study being done by a task force established by the legislature.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/21/2015 4:24 pm  #6

Looks like the state legislature will have to decide whether they want to change/eliminate the death penalty.
Given lager's post that PA has only executed 3 people since the seventies, it begs the question, why did the governor issue this moratorium?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/21/2015 4:26 pm  #7

Goose wrote:

Given lager's post that PA has only executed 3 people since the seventies, it begs the question, why did the governor issue this moratorium?

Just renewing his credentials as a liberal, IMHO.

Window dressing.

Life is an Orthros.

2/21/2015 4:28 pm  #8

Tarnation wrote:

Goose wrote:

Window dressing.

Was the death penalty a campaign issue? 
I don't follow PA politics as closely as I once did. This just seems to have come out of nowhere

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/21/2015 6:08 pm  #9

Goose wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

Goose wrote:

Window dressing.

Was the death penalty a campaign issue? 
I don't follow PA politics as closely as I once did. This just seems to have come out of nowhere

I don't remember it being an issue in the election, if it was it was very minor.  The big issues in the last election were an extraction tax on gas drillers, education and Corbett's general incompetence as governor.

Nobody has been executed in PA in a long time, this was just window dressing

2/21/2015 6:17 pm  #10

Wolf has actually in truth issued a reprieve. Wolf was within his legal right to grant a reprieve under Article 4, Section 9 of the state constitution That section also gives the governor the power to commute sentences and issue pardons.

Wolf wants a commission report that commenced in 2011 to have its say before deciding on what its recommendations will be concerning Pa's convoluted stance on capital punishment. 

What will happen long term in Pa is far from a given conclusion. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera