The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2015 2:04 pm  #1

Economic Inequality in the U.S.

Interesting discussion from a BBC program:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-31377189

2/13/2015 4:44 pm  #2

Re: Economic Inequality in the U.S.

I believe they "nailed" the causes. 

The "fixes", however, are a task that has eluded everyone. I unfortunately believe there is no easy fix although there will be much political hay to be raised that IMHO will amount to nothing. 

Last edited by tennyson (2/13/2015 4:45 pm)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/13/2015 5:02 pm  #3

Good article.
As Tennyson noted, the remedies are not apparent, and it is likely that the issue will be "shoe-horned" into peoples' pre-existing political ideology.

Is there a cure?

Last edited by Goose (2/13/2015 5:04 pm)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/14/2015 8:27 am  #4

I can't see a cure coming in the U.S. as long as the 1% has as much political influence through contributions to the political process and control over the politicians that beg for their money. I think I read the other day that the Koch brothers have allocated about $900 million for the 2016 campaign. Obviously, these "job creators" have a lot of interest in steering their chosen politicians towards their favorite issues that will provide certainty that they will continue to grow their personal fortunes.

It is interesting that most quoted in the article agree that economic inequality exists and is getting worse, but retreat to their political fortresses rather than seeking viable solutions to this expanding problem.

2/14/2015 10:33 am  #5

Rongone wrote:

I can't see a cure coming in the U.S. as long as the 1% has as much political influence through contributions to the political process and control over the politicians that beg for their money. I think I read the other day that the Koch brothers have allocated about $900 million for the 2016 campaign. Obviously, these "job creators" have a lot of interest in steering their chosen politicians towards their favorite issues that will provide certainty that they will continue to grow their personal fortunes.

It is interesting that most quoted in the article agree that economic inequality exists and is getting worse, but retreat to their political fortresses rather than seeking viable solutions to this expanding problem.

+1   

2/23/2015 10:07 am  #6

How do you turn off the money in elections? It's coming from both sides!Billionaire Tom Steyer On Money In Politics, Spending $74 M On The Election (2014)http://www.forbes.com/sites/katiasavchuk/2014/11/03/billionaire-tom-steyer-on-money-in-politics-spending-74-m-on-the-election/
You’ve given more than any other donor this election. Why invest that money in electoral politics rather than advocacy or philanthropy?

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

2/23/2015 10:22 am  #7

"How do you turn off the money in elections?"

#1) overturn the Citizens United decision.
#2) limit the amount any individual or entity can donate to any party or individual to $1000 in any year.
#3) limit the spending amount of advertising (TV, radio, Internet, mailers, etc.) any one candidate or party can engage in.
#4) end the circus that major parties call "conventions".
#5) outlaw lobbying firms, lobbyists, influence peddling groups disguised as "think tanks".

That's a start.

2/23/2015 11:07 am  #8

Common Sense wrote:

You’ve given more than any other donor this election. Why invest that money in electoral politics rather than advocacy or philanthropy?

Looks like he answered the question.

"Climate change impacts us all, and we must each make personal decisions about how we live, spend and work to preserve our planet. But beyond these private decisions, one thing has become abundantly clear: the time to act politically to avert climate disaster has arrived. As a nation, we must chart a different course, one that preserves our prosperity and empowers American businesses to create jobs while building the clean energy future our kids deserve.

In addition to founding NextGen Climate, my wife [Kat Taylor] and I took the Giving Pledge in 2010 and have decided to give away the bulk of our financial blessings to philanthropy and public interest causes, such as One Pacific Coast Bank, the community development bank that makes capital accessible to historically underserved communities to promote economic development."

Last edited by Goose (2/23/2015 11:11 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera