The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/13/2015 1:12 pm  #1

Germany marks 70th anniversary of Dresden firebombing

Ge

Last edited by Goose (3/06/2016 7:29 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/13/2015 2:09 pm  #2

Re: Germany marks 70th anniversary of Dresden firebombing

Always think about Kurt Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five" when Dresden is mentioned.

2/13/2015 7:35 pm  #3

I always think of the beginning of Mendelsohn's Symphony # 5, the  "Reformation Symphony" as its opening phrase is the "Dresden Amen".

Life is an Orthros.

2/24/2015 7:27 pm  #4

"The city was believed by Allied forces to be a vital Nazi command centre"

Many think that Dresden was more pay back than an attack on a vital military target. The allies knew it was full of refugees from other parts of Germany.

2/25/2015 7:49 am  #5

Warfare had taken a hiatus from targeting civilian populations during the late middle ages through the early 20th century.

Then we reverted to mideval tactics with modern weapons.

May God have mercy on us.

Life is an Orthros.

2/25/2015 1:01 pm  #6

I don't condone what happened but I can understand why they did it.

Just watching some of the firestorm footage from London is heartbreaking.

There were people in there.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/25/2015 7:43 pm  #7

Goose wrote:

[
Could any British or American leader look his people in the eye and say that he did NOT do everything in his power to bring the war to an early end?

Probably not, for the simple reason that WWII's total mobalization was the perfect kickstart to the global economy after the Great Depression.   Good thing that the Cold War immediately followed because we just "happened" to be spared the usual "post-war recession"  With the war not ending but merely transitioning to a different foe the downturn never came.

It is arguable that the 2005- and onward "downturn" is a delayed depression from the end of the Cold War.

Life is an Orthros.

2/25/2015 10:04 pm  #8

A very interesting Historical Analysis of the 14–15 February 1945 Bombings of Dresden
http://www.afhso.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-110208-030.pdf

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/26/2015 5:48 pm  #9

Goose wrote:

The Cold War was inevitable.
There was no way that the US and UK were going to stay allied with the Soviets after the nazi threat was removed.

I don't doubt that someone, somewhere, considered hitting Russia while they were still reeling from their conflict with the Germans.  

From an economic standpoint, there was no way they could have sustained any kind of large-scale defense.

If you make yourself miserable trying to make others happy that means everyone is miserable.

-Me again

---------------------------------------------

2/26/2015 10:26 pm  #10

I wonder what old George would have to say about ISIS if he was alive today!

Board footera