The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2015 1:08 pm  #1

The Age Of Disinformation

The Age Of Disinformation
written May 27, 2015

read the full stroy here:
https://medium.com/@spann/the-age-of-disinformation-98d55837d7d9

I have been a professional meteorologist for 36 years. Since my debut on television in 1979, I have been an eyewitness to the many changes in technology, society, and how we communicate. I am one who embraces change, and celebrates the higher quality of life we enjoy now thanks to this progress.

But, at the same time, I realize the instant communication platforms we enjoy now do have some negatives that are troubling. Just a few examples in recent days…I would say hundreds of people have sent this image to me over the past 24 hours via social media.

Comments are attached… like “This is a cloud never seen before in the U.S.”… “can’t you see this is due to government manipulation of the weather from chemtrails”… “no doubt this is a sign of the end of the age”.

Let’s get real. This is a lenticular cloud. They have always been around, and quite frankly aren’t that unusual (although it is an anomaly to see one away from a mountain range). The one thing that is different today is that almost everyone has a camera phone, and almost everyone shares pictures of weather events. You didn’t see these often in earlier decades because technology didn’t allow it. Lenticular clouds are nothing new. But, yes, they are cool to see.

No doubt national news media outlets are out of control when it comes to weather coverage, and their idiotic claims find their way to us on a daily basis.The Houston flooding is a great example. We are being told this is “unprecedented”… Houston is “under water”… and it is due to manmade global warming.

But, no, this was not “unprecedented”. Flooding from Tropical Storm Allison in 2001 was more widespread, and flood waters were deeper. There is no comparison. In fact, many circulated this image in recent days, claiming it is “Houston underwater” from the flooding of May 25–26, 2015. The truth is that this image was captured in June 2001 during flooding from Allison.Flood events in 2009, 2006, 1998, 1994, 1989, 1983, and 1979 brought higher water levels to most of Houston, and there were many very serious flood events before the 1970s.

On the other issue, the entire climate change situation has become politicized, which I hate. Those on the right, and those on the left hang out in “echo chambers”, listening to those with similar world views refusing to believe anything else could be true.

Read the rest on line

Last edited by Common Sense (5/29/2015 1:09 pm)

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

5/29/2015 1:20 pm  #2

Re: The Age Of Disinformation

Common Sense wrote:

On the other issue, the entire climate change situation has become politicized, which I hate. Those on the right, and those on the left hang out in “echo chambers”, listening to those with similar world views refusing to believe anything else could be true.

Is that something that you agree with?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/29/2015 4:06 pm  #3

I'm really interested in what the majority of scientists that study this think.  97% of them believe climate change is real and we, as humans, have contributed to the acceleration of it.  Period.

I imagine we could find people who also believe the earth is 8,000 years old, that evolution is fantasy, the sun revolves around the earth and the earth itself is flat, the Flintstones is really a documentary, and we never really landed on the moon and that the whole thing was staged in a Hollywood studio, and the acceptance of gay rights caused Katrina.

I can't handle this anymore, and at some point we, as a society, must leave some people behind and move on.

Last edited by Just Fred (5/29/2015 4:06 pm)

5/29/2015 4:31 pm  #4

Instead of jumping on whether climate change is manmade or not, the impact of the article is how people use things incorrectly to make a point. 

I agree with the article on that aspect wholeheartedly which I believe is the point he was trying to make. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/29/2015 4:33 pm  #5

Climate change certainly exists, there is really is no denying it, if one is being honest with themself.  The thing I'm interested in learning about is any ideas to combat it? I haven't seen anything that even comes close to thwarting climate change.  Maybe if we go back to the Stone Age, no cars, no heating in our homes, no industry manufacturing things, that would help? I don't mean that as a smartass comment, it's just that I don't see throwing more money at it as a solution.  Maybe it is, but I have to see the proof before I buy into that.

Furthermore, countries like China and India have to be fully on board with any climate change regulatory initiatives, otherwise there's no way they would have any effect.  I think overall, the U.S. already does a pretty good job of not polluting the environment, about as good of a job that any first world country of our size can do anyway.  I'd like to see much larger countries like India and China follow suit.

Last edited by The Man (5/29/2015 4:39 pm)

5/29/2015 6:14 pm  #6

Good comments.
I've read a great deal about this issue. I can state with certainty:
There is a scientific consensus that the earth is warming rapidly compared to historic patterns.
That the cause is human industrial activity.
It will result in changes in climate that will challenge agriculture and coastal areas.

Models also predict, with a lower level of confidence that the western US will become more arid.
There is a great deal of controversy as to whether climate change will lead to more extreme weather events.

I think that more extreme weather events will occur, but it's kinda beside the point. If a typical hurricane should occur when the sea level is 8 inches higher than it is now, there will be more damage. If a typical drought occurs against a backdrop of a drier west, the consequences will be more severe.

Tennyson is correct in that we need the best info available. The right has a horrible record in this regard.

The Man asks the $64,000 question: What are you going to do about it?
I have two very broad answers.
First, the climate is going to change, you cannot stop it. So put more effort into being ready for it as far as coastal area planning, and drought planning.

Secondly, let's blunt the effects. Look to ways to cap the rise in CO2. This will require switching to renewable energy sources and other innovations. And, as the man observed, it's going to take some agreements with the other powers on the globe, such as China and India.

Let's at least recognize the problem.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/29/2015 8:10 pm  #7

One should always look at all available information on things like this. 

There are some contradictory historical information pertaining to high CO2 but yet widespread glaciation. Some believe they have accounted for that phenomena. Yet, we always have to keep an open mind that all we know is perhaps not enough. 

One other source of info that surprised me came from the EPA itself. It has a very good site about greenhouse gases produced here in the US and its sources. I would have thought that US production of greenhouse gases over the past 20+ years would have dramatically increased, but to my surprise that has not been the case. Actually it looks like we peaked about 2007 according to the graph below from the site. 

I tend to agree that decreasing CO2 and other greenhouse gases is a good thing, however. 

That said, I believe we still have much to lean about climate change and global warming. 

Here is the link to the EPA website

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/sources.html

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/29/2015 10:48 pm  #8

Yes, indeed, One should always look at all available information on things like this. 
And, If you are going to look at CO2 emissions and make some sort of judgment as to how it relates to Climate change then you have to look at global CO2 emissions.

AND, you should look at the longest time frame possible.

Then you should look at Global temps over the same time period as best you can.

Then look at sources by region.

And, lest you think that the above graph suggests that the US is not a key player in this problemhttp://www.energytrendsinsider.com/2012/07/02/global-carbon-dioxide-emissions-facts-and-figures/

http://climatechange.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=003800

Graph # 4 shows the importance of reaching agreements with other nations, as the man and I have alluded to.

Graph #5 shows per capita emissions. It suggests two things to me. First, if Asia, with its huge population, increases their per capita CO2 production until it mirrors US production it will significantly exacerbate the problem we face.

Secondly, there is the political aspect. We cannot keep our per capita CO2 production as high as it is and expect nations such as India or China to decrease their emissions. It is a political non starter.  The US could be a much cleaner player. We will have to be

Last edited by Goose (5/30/2015 5:18 am)

5/30/2015 12:14 am  #9

For those interested, there is quite a lot of information on the topic that is easily available. I offer some sites. The bottom line is that there really is a broad consensus among climate scientists that climate is changing rapidly, and that human industrial activity is a large driver in that change. Beyond that, there is much to learn, and to do.

One can argue that they are mistaken, of course. (And I'd be interested in a detailed argument as to why). But it would not be accurate to state that the consensus does not exist.

NASA has a great site
http://climate.nasa.gov/

The EPA
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/index.html

Climate change Reading list
https://checklisttowardzerocarbon.wordpress.com/120-appendix-i-climate-change-resources/

NASA Master Directory
http://gcmd.gsfc.nasa.gov/

The Pew Center
http://www.c2es.org/

Union of Concerned Scientists
http://www.ucsusa.org/global_warming#.VWlD-GRViko

5/30/2015 10:26 am  #10

Here is one chart that shows what is happening worldwide. 

China is on a mission to curb its CO2 emissions as it has quickly become the worlds largest contributor to the pollution problem as it has industrialized. Even with their efforts, IF the Chineese start using cars like other developed countries, even the current efforts may not be enough. With prosperity and development sometimes come these environmental consequences. 

Board footera