The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/05/2019 6:22 am  #1

When Did You Stop Being a Conservative?

My brother is a life long republican. He is a Trumper as well.

Over the weekend, in a moment of frustration, he pointed out that I have long been a fiscal conservative, and a republican until 2008.
So, he asks me, "When did you stop being a conservative?"

Well, I'm still for containing the imperial Presidency. Your guy wants to seize power by declaring a national emergency because he can't get Congress to do what he wants.

I'm still for free Trade. Your guy is the tariff king.

I'm still for free markets. Your guy wants to subsidize coal.

I'm still for balance budgets. Your team has created a $800 BILLION deficit this year.

I'm still for collective defense of a free Europe.

I'm still for confronting the murderous ex KGB agent who runs Russia.

I'm still a supporter of science.

I'm still opposed to the tyrant who rules North Korea.

Looks to me like the people in the GOP are no longer are conservatives.

Last edited by Goose (2/05/2019 6:23 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/06/2019 8:52 am  #2

Re: When Did You Stop Being a Conservative?

Sounds to me like your brother doesn't really know what a conservative is, or he doesn't understand the disconnect between Trump and conservatism.  Or maybe he's not paying attention?

Last edited by Just Fred (2/06/2019 8:53 am)

2/06/2019 2:27 pm  #3

GOP and Conservatism is JUST A SLOGAN -- that is ALL. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

2/06/2019 7:17 pm  #4

tennyson wrote:

And a gross oversimplification.

There are a number of on-line quizzes (in depth, not blogthings) that can plot an x - y axis of positions ranging from libertarian to totalitarian.   One axis is for social issues and the other is for economic issues.

Even that doesn't bring into account what I would label as a z axis, a dimension ranging from theism to extreme humanism/atheism.

And, for the record, if such a plotting could be made I'd basically be a theocratic libertarian...essentially a monarchist.

Life is an Orthros.

2/06/2019 10:23 pm  #5

I'm not at all sure how to do 4-D mapping and modeling, but there is (at least) one more axis to bring to the matrix.

This gets complicated because typically axes are labelled x, y, and z--so for the additional do you go to "aa" or move backward from "x" to "w"?

The aa or w axis is for historical consciousness/appreciation.  I have met some people who have absolutely no appreciation for history, no interest, and even less desire for preservation.   The present moment is all that matters....or, perhaps, the present into the near future.   At the opposite extreme are persons who are so entrenched in the past that there is little appreciation for the present and still less for the future.

This axis is very strong factor of influence on politics.   Just consider the question of the US Constitution:  a static document, subject only to amendment at long intervals or an "organic" document constantly evolving at the hands of the judiciary?   Or something in between?

Life is an Orthros.

2/07/2019 5:56 am  #6

Tarnation wrote:

I'm not at all sure how to do 4-D mapping and modeling, but there is (at least) one more axis to bring to the matrix.

This gets complicated because typically axes are labelled x, y, and z--so for the additional do you go to "aa" or move backward from "x" to "w"?

The aa or w axis is for historical consciousness/appreciation.  I have met some people who have absolutely no appreciation for history, no interest, and even less desire for preservation.   The present moment is all that matters....or, perhaps, the present into the near future.   At the opposite extreme are persons who are so entrenched in the past that there is little appreciation for the present and still less for the future.

This axis is very strong factor of influence on politics.   Just consider the question of the US Constitution:  a static document, subject only to amendment at long intervals or an "organic" document constantly evolving at the hands of the judiciary?   Or something in between?

Don't forget another group, those who have a reverence for a past that might be less than completely historically accurate.

Enjoying a great read just now on that subject that I will share in the book review section when I finish it.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/07/2019 8:41 am  #7

Tarnation wrote:

tennyson wrote:

And a gross oversimplification.

There are a number of on-line quizzes (in depth, not blogthings) that can plot an x - y axis of positions ranging from libertarian to totalitarian.   One axis is for social issues and the other is for economic issues.

Even that doesn't bring into account what I would label as a z axis, a dimension ranging from theism to extreme humanism/atheism.

And, for the record, if such a plotting could be made I'd basically be a theocratic libertarian...essentially a monarchist.

Occam's razor

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera