The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2015 8:31 am  #1

Pups on Patrol

Pups Patrol Mall for Fowl That Befoul Monuments

They are a furry band of pups charged with helping rid the National Mall of goose poop.

And on Thursday the border collies that are part of the "Geese Police" were on the case, out to herd the fowl that befoul the grassy stretches near the nation's monuments.

There's lots of work to be done, said David Marcks whose company was contracted by the National Park Service to safely chase the birds away and keep them from coming back.

"The highest complaint we get is the amount of droppings," Marcks said. "Each goose produces a pound" of poop per day.

Park Service officials say large flocks of geese leave large amounts droppings which can damage pipes and filters in the reflecting pool and create a public health hazard.

Earlier this year, the National Park Service announced it wanted to begin using the dogs to disperse Canada geese that frequent the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool and other spots on the National Mall. The Park Service sought public comments on a proposed plan to use the dogs to chase the large and growing geese population to other areas of the park.

The dogs got to work this week.

Officials say border collies have a natural instinct to round up flocks of geese and no birds would be harmed. Other cities have also used border collies to shoo Canadian geese and the dogs practice on smaller birds such as ducks before focusing on larger fowl.

So how do the dogs deter the geese?

They give them "the eye" Marcks told reporters in Washington on Thursday.

It seems to be working. On Wednesday, the border collies, clad in little neon yellow uniforms took to the fields and chased away 18 geese, Marcks said. This morning, they only had to deter two geese.

Dog and bird lovers can help with this effort, Marcks said.

Please, don't feed the geese.

— Halimah Abdullah and The Associated Press contributed.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/26/2015 7:37 pm  #2

Re: Pups on Patrol

Border Collies are cool.  They will herd anything, sheep, birds, kids.....and it doesn't seem  like they hurt anything, they just herd it.  They are smart and energetic.

But if you have water, geese are likely to be there. That's their habitat.   They do leave a huge amount of poop though.  I hope the dogs can help with the problem.  It's better than killing wildlife because it annoys or inconveniences us.

5/26/2015 9:35 pm  #3

The washington area is palgued with geese and they are every where, water or not.  I remember when still living in northern Virginia and having to go to Fairfax for meetings and having to side step goose poop everywhere on the sidewalks and the lawns just on the walk from the parking lot to a building.  Pinchot State Park installed a fence just high enough that geese couldn't fly over it to keep them off the grass near the lake.  Before the fence it was horrible to walk any where there.  Using dogs merely chases the geese to someone else's property and doesn't resolves the geese population anywhere. There has to be a better solution.

5/26/2015 10:59 pm  #4

Hundreds of Canadian geese plague Lake Redman.  Most days they are prowling (and pooping) at the "picnic" area on Spartan Road just north of Hess Farm Drive.

Life is an Orthros.

5/27/2015 12:17 pm  #5

Not a big problem here in the Berkshires.
I do remember battling them when I used to fish Penns Creek.
Man, they produce a huge amount of crap.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/27/2015 12:41 pm  #6

I have seen them at Lake Redmond, Tarnation.  There were literally hundreds of them!

5/27/2015 3:04 pm  #7

Problem at Pinchot Park as well. 

Maybe the State ought to invest in a couple of Border Collies ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/27/2015 5:47 pm  #8

A few years ago my husband was interim manager or some such title at the Lake Club, a beautiful, scenic, heavenly place near Spring Grove before Glatflelters decided to neglect it and then get rid of it.   The grounds were beautiful, but geese were a problem.  When folks say they make an incredible amount of poop, you can't imagine how much.  From what I heard, they drained the lake and I guess the geese left.  I wonder what that beautiful, heavenly place looks like now.

5/29/2015 7:59 pm  #9

I haven't really seen geese here in Augusta... spiders, giant mosquitoes, rattlers, black snakes, possum (ugly mo-fo!!!), foxes, deer, and even armadillos & lizards...

but no geese

5/30/2015 6:06 am  #10

Tropicalfox wrote:

I haven't really seen geese here in Augusta... spiders, giant mosquitoes, rattlers, black snakes, possum (ugly mo-fo!!!), foxes, deer, and even armadillos & lizards...

but no geese

Yikes!, I'll deal with the goose poop before spiders and bugs.
In western Massachusetts we are at the extreme range of the rattlesnake. haven't seen one since we moved. They don't bother me. When I used to fish in northen PA we saw them quite often.

Board footera