The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/03/2018 11:00 am  #1

Climate Scientist Accuses CNN of Bumping Her for Rick Santorum

This drives me absolutely mad. And it's not just CNN. For years the news media has interviewed political operatives instead of scientists to talk about climate change. I don't much like Rick Santorum, but I won't go there. I will just point out that Santorum has a law degree and a BA in political science. He has no background in the physical sciences. Santorum is actually hoostile to the sciences having once sponsored a bill to teach 'intelligent design' in schools.

You might as well ask him to offer insights into endocrinology.

When will the media get serious about covering climate change?

Climate Scientist Katharine Hayhoe Accuses CNN of Bumping Her Expertise for Rick Santorum

Katharine Hayhoe, a climate scientist and co-author of the recently released U.S. National Climate Assessment, was supposed to be Anderson Cooper’s guest during CNN’s primetime broadcast Tuesday night.

She even pre-taped the appearance for AC360, but when the live show aired, it was nowhere to be seen. 

For Hayhoe, this was yet another example of cable news favoring climate deniers over climate scientists.

After she realized what happened, Hayhoe tweeted a thread accusing CNN of bumping her to make room for paid contributor Rick Santorum, who made news over the weekend by spreading a conspiracy theory about scientists getting rich pushing climate-change alarmism during an appearance on that same network’s State of the Union.

“Let me share a sad reality,” Hayhoe began. “@AC360 asked if I could join them tonight or talk #NationalClimateAssessment.” She explained that she told them she needed to practice her upcoming TED Talk but they pleaded with her and offered to send a car to pick her up so she agreed.

"I do the interview, Anderson is lovely, the whole thing takes three hours .... and they don’t air the interview,” she continued. “Instead, they give more airtime to Santorum, so he can to continue to spread disinformation.”

“I don’t get paid for any of this—but I think he does, doesn’t he?” Hayhoe asked. (He does.)

“And this is not the first time this has happened. Chris Hayes’ program canceled three times, once when I was literally in a chair with that earpiece in my ear. When @MSNBC called me again this week, I said… I would be delighted to talk to you, but in order to be a wise steward of my time, I need a guarantee the interview will air, barring a major disaster, an assassination, or the end of the world. They did not reply.”

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

12/03/2018 11:05 am  #2

Re: Climate Scientist Accuses CNN of Bumping Her for Rick Santorum

"News" going from the sublime to the ridiculous !  

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera