The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/30/2018 6:05 am  #1

Many hurt by GM cuts blame others, not Trump

For what it's worth, I don't blame Trump for the GM layoffs either.

I blame Trump for making grandiose promises about something he had no power to affect.
Trump's crime was building his political fortunes upon a pile of false hopes and promises of easy answers to desperate people.

And frankly, I blame The Base themselves for acting like children. They should have known that a President doesn't have a magic wand that he can use to reinstate a mythical past. They, in fact, did know this all along.
 I mean, they should have laughed Trump off the stage when he declared "I alone can fix this".

But, The Base chose to suspend logic and reason, and joined a cult of personality.
They chose to play along, because facing things that they did not wish to see was unpleasant, and challenging. Our problems with manufacturing are long standing , and difficult to address. The system might need to change, but so do the people.  Facing that is tough. And along came this guy, who offered villains to blame, painless solutions, and supreme unfounded confidence in his own magical abilities,,,,,,,,,

Many hurt by GM cuts blame others, not Trump

WARREN, Ohio — Eight miles northwest of the General Motors assembly plant expected to close next year, two workers and a customer at an auto-parts store pointed fingers: Americans just don’t want to drive small cars like those produced at the plant. Gas prices are low, making big vehicles even more attractive. And GM can get cheaper labor elsewhere.

But none of the three men pointed a finger at President Trump, who had promised residents here and throughout the industrial Midwest that he would stop the closure of factories. At one political rally in the area last year, he even urged residents to stay put and not sell their homes.

“It’s a company. Why should the president of the United States be allowed to tell a company what to do?” said Michael Hayda, 64

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/its-a-business-were-numbers-many-hurt-by-gm-cuts-blame-others-not-trump/2018/11/29/89a8ee2e-f323-11e8-aeea-b85fd44449f5_story.html?utm_term=.2e749fa052e6

Last edited by Goose (11/30/2018 6:22 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

11/30/2018 11:40 am  #2

Re: Many hurt by GM cuts blame others, not Trump

This story reflects the Trump follower perfectly.  Had GM expanded their operation, they would give Trump credit.  However, if it fizzles, it would have nothing to do with him ............. it would be somebody else's fault.

That's how Trumpism works - take credit for the positives, blame others for the negatives.

11/30/2018 4:33 pm  #3

Re: Many hurt by GM cuts blame others, not Trump

Con men fool rubes all the time. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera