The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2018 6:41 am  #1

Like Summer Camp

US official: Detention center like 'summer camp' for migrants

Washington (AFP) - US lawmakers assailed the Trump administration Tuesday for its controversial border policy, as one immigration enforcement official pushed back against charges of abuse to say that family detention centers are like a "summer camp."

The description was the latest disconnect between officials charged with carrying out a controversial "zero tolerance" policy that has led to the separation of thousands of children from their migrant parents, and outraged lawmakers and members of the public who accuse President Donald Trump of creating a child safety crisis.

Republicans and Democrats grilled immigration and border enforcement officials at a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing over a series of decisions in recent months that led to the separation of more than 2,500 undocumented migrant children from their parents or guardians.And while they warned that many young children in US custody have suffered abuse during their detention, Matthew Albence, an executive associate director at Immigration and Customs Enforcement, testified that conditions at family residential centers were not as bad as described."I think the best way to describe them is to be more like a summer camp," Albence told the panel, as he described "24/7" access to fresh food and water, educational classes, outdoor recreational opportunities and exercise.

Authorities have struggled to reunify families who were separated after being arrested for illegally crossing the border from Mexico.The detention of separated children, including infants, in cage-like enclosures set off a global outcry, and Trump last month ordered an end to the separations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-official-detention-center-summer-camp-migrants-180559599.html

Last edited by Goose (8/01/2018 6:42 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

8/01/2018 6:55 am  #2

Re: Like Summer Camp

Will that unnamed immigration enforcement official be sending his/her kids to that same “summer camp”?

I doubt it.

8/01/2018 8:39 am  #3

..... one immigration enforcement official pushed back against charges of abuse to say that family detention centers are like a "summer camp."

That's interesting.  When I went to a summer camp, my parents actually made the decision to send me.  Maybe this enforcement official could provide us with a list of parents who chose to send their kid to this summer camp.  Also, I'm guessing my parents knew where I was.

8/02/2018 5:13 am  #4

A cage is a cage, no matter how plush it is.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

Board footera