The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/17/2018 9:06 am  #1

State of the Union

The American Crisis

I am an amateur historian. And, a bit sentimental. I've looked back with admiration - and maybe envy - at the Union soldiers who saved a nation, the greatest generation who saved the world, and the civil rights movement who saved our soul. By contrast, our time had always seemed so ordinary, so un-heroic. It seemed that all the dragons were slayed, all the battles were won. The present era just seemed about making money and acquiring things.

Boy was I wrong. In the last two years I've come to understand that we too live in momentous times. The United States stands at a crossroads. We face a choice between ascent and descent. Between xenophobia and internationalism. Between isolationism and leadership, between reason and dogma, authoritarianism and democracy, diversity and tribalism.

How did we get here? Well, I think that the demographic, economic, and political changes that we have experienced in the past 50 years have created an environment in which our darker nature has been fed. Rights can be viewed -mistakenly in my opinion - as a zero sum game by people. Somebody wins. Somebody loses. White protestants came to view the end of their complete dominance of American society as some sort of oppression. Economic changes which disadvantaged blue collar workers since the 1970s further fed into this sense of loss. And politics? Well, the Best and the brightest led us into the disaster that was Vietnam

About a generation ago conservative media became radicalized. First talk radio, and then cable TV became safe zones for bigots, crazy conspiracy theorists, and any of the aggrieved. These outlets nurtured the paranoid class of American politics. They eroded faith in established institutions. They became virulently anti-science, and anti reason. Republican politicians went along with it. They used the paranoia to raise money and get votes, and then ignored the paranoids when governing. The democrats used ridicule to energize their own, used litmus tests to exclude anyone who didn't walk in lock step with them,,,,, and drove white working men into the arms of the crazies.

Then the republicans lost control of their monster. The crazies figured out that mainstream republicans were just using them, and started electing actual crazies.
Congress became a freak show.

Fast forward to 2016. The Crazies decided that the biggest mouth lout at the bar was their preferred candidate.
After a brief moment of resistance, mainstream republicans gave up any principles they claimed to have and fell into line.

Democrats nominated a candidate whose political slogan might have been something about as inspiring as It's my turn.
Evangelicals threw themselves into the arms of Satan for the promise of judgeships and laws that would enshrine their white protestant domination and privilege.

The press - in some bizarre strategy to look 'fair' - pretended that Hillary Clinton's email server was somehow a equivalent to the myriad of disqualifications that the other candidate had.

Pundits, like Morning Joe used the Trump freak show for ratings. They gave Trump tens of millions in free coverage because he was a solid guarantee to produce an outrageous sound bite to titillate the audience.

And here we are, at the American Crisis.

Still, we can reclaim our nation, with vision, decency, and hard work. The damage has been great, but I believe that it can be repaired.

You know, Trump's power is not in his brilliance or vision. Trump's power stems appealing to the dark side of human nature,, and  from the acquiescence of people who should have known better. 

Last edited by Goose (6/18/2018 6:53 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/28/2018 1:50 pm  #2

Re: State of the Union

Hillary lost and it's an American crisis?  Oh my the sky is falling. The left has done everyting
they could to stop President Trump but they have failed..... They will need more than Resist to win the mid-term election. But with the US economy buzzing along it's going to be that much harder.

“We hold these truths to be self-evident,”  former vice president Biden said during a campaign event in Texas on Monday. "All men and women created by — you know, you know, the thing.”

7/28/2018 2:50 pm  #3

Common Sense wrote:

Hillary lost and it's an American crisis?  Oh my the sky is falling. The left has done everyting
they could to stop President Trump but they have failed..... They will need more than Resist to win the mid-term election. But with the US economy buzzing along it's going to be that much harder.

Yes, the election of Donald Trump signals a very dark chapter in American history.
The emergence of white nationalism with it's love of authoritarianism, and disdain for American traditions is most troubling.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

7/29/2018 7:59 am  #4

We're at a crossroads in American history.  Basically, we need to choose between democratic or authoritarian leadership.  It's nothing new, and it has happened many times throughout 20th century history ......... the 30's in Europe and the 60's and 70's in South America. 

I highly recommend reading, "How Democracies Die."  Whether you can draw any parallels between what happened to nations that faced that choice and what we may be facing today in the USA is a product of your critical thinking skills.

7/29/2018 8:58 am  #5

Just Fred wrote:

We're at a crossroads in American history.  Basically, we need to choose between democratic or authoritarian leadership.  It's nothing new, and it has happened many times throughout 20th century history ......... the 30's in Europe and the 60's and 70's in South America. 

I highly recommend reading, "How Democracies Die."  Whether you can draw any parallels between what happened to nations that faced that choice and what we may be facing today in the USA is a product of your critical thinking skills.

I agree, Fred. One thing that makes me shake my head is when people look at this mess and exclaim, "This isn't America.".
Sure it is. America is a struggle between soaring ideals and our darker angels. Always has been.

The Founders themselves expressed some doubt as to whether the "Empire of Liberty" would long endure.
Heck, Alexander Hamilton even referred to it as the American experiment.

Let's hope that we can turn away from populism, authoritarianism and fascism once again.

Last edited by Goose (7/29/2018 8:59 am)

7/29/2018 12:56 pm  #6

Interesting this subject came up now.  Check out or google Cambodia election.  They are losing their democracy as we speak and it's very clear why:

Last Wednesday marked the latest show of force by Hun Sen’s government when more than 4,000 police officers dressed in riot gear and carrying automatic weapons filled Olympic Stadium in Phnom Penh. The display was intended to dissuade any protests and quell growing calls from the opposition to boycott the election.

On Sunday, the Cambodian people will head to the polls. There are a dizzying number of parties to choose from; one report counted 20 so far — all part of a façade of a free and fair election. Prime Minister Hun Sen, who has been in power for more than 30 years, has systematically dismantled the free press, dissolved the only real opposition party, restricted or outlawed freedom of expression — sometimes by force — in what has been described as the death knell for democracy in Cambodia.

Hun Sen will almost certainly win reelection by a landslide.

Last edited by Just Fred (7/29/2018 3:45 pm)

7/29/2018 5:34 pm  #7

And right on cue:

President Trump on Sunday unleashed a tirade against the media in which he called reporters "unpatriotic" for reporting on the inner workings of the government.

In a series of tweets, the president singled out The New York Times and The Washington Post for writing "bad stories" about his administration, which he amounted to "[selling] out" the country.

"90% of media coverage of my Administration is negative, despite the tremendously positive results we are achieving, it’s no surprise that confidence in the media is at an all time low!" Trump tweeted.

Last edited by Just Fred (7/29/2018 5:35 pm)

7/30/2018 5:12 am  #8

The President has duties beyond those described in the Constitution.
He represents us on the world stage.
He sets the tone of the national conversation.
He represents American Ideals.

So, to have the the President of the United States abuse faithful allies, and cozy up to dictators,,,,,,
To have him call the press 'The enemy of the People',,,,,,,,,
To have him abuse & scapegoat immigrants and refugees,,,,,,,
To have him provide succor to white supremacists and neo-nazis,,,,,,,
To have him call for the imprisonment of his political rival,,,,
To have him try to manipulate the FBI and Department of Justice,,,,,

Well, let's just say it. This President's rhetoric is beyond divisive.
It is dangerous.

Last edited by Goose (7/30/2018 5:14 am)

7/30/2018 8:14 am  #9

The question is whether the US will be able to come back from this abomination of an Administration. 

I have no doubt we WILL survive, but just surviving is not the same as being a world leader that is looked up to. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

8/01/2018 5:11 am  #10

Yesterday the President again referred to a free press as “the enemy of the people “.

You know, I’d be less concerned that “The sky is falling “, if this president spoke more like Washington than he does Stalin

Board footera