The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/13/2018 5:05 am  #1

Reactions to Korean Summit

1. Relief.
I'm glad that Trump got his ego stroked and has backed down from the Fire and Fury nonsense. The truth is, there are no attractive military options in Korea. Ugly as it is, a nuclear North Korea is a fact, and we need to accept it, even if we have to participate in the fiction that some sort of "process" is just beyond arms reach.
It's good that Trump backed down. Better than preparing for war.

2. It was absolutely sickening to watch an American President heap effusive praise on, and treat as a co-equal, some repressive, murderous dictator. Especially, less than 72 hours after attacking our most faithful ally and neighbor. Conservatives - the complete hypocrites that they are - would have gone out of their minds if a President Obama had done this. Trump has a strange affinity for despots.

3. What an awful sight it was to see Old Glory being proudly displayed next to the North Korean flag.

4. The agreement is shit. There is no there there. It was a ribbon cutting at a Trump hotel.
North Korea simply promised to "Work towards" denuclearization.
No detailed plan. No time table, no conditions for sanction removal. 
Nothing.

5. Trump lost.
North Korea got a one on one meeting on the world stage with the US President as a co-equal.
North Korea got the President to promise to end military exercises with our ally South Korea.
America got,,,,,,, nothing
Heck, China is already calling for an end to sanctions,,,,,,,, before the North Koreans do a thing.

Predictions.
I think that the Trump administration - and the Trumpers - will declare victory, and then rapidly lose interest in the Korean Peninsula. There will be no denuclearization, no inspectors, no detailed process. They will simply declare victory, and move on. The problem will remain, it just won't be hyped to war fever.
Trump if nothing else, just doesn't have the attention span to stay with it, nor does he have a plan to solve it.

Last edited by Goose (6/13/2018 5:06 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/13/2018 6:53 am  #2

Re: Reactions to Korean Summit

Good post and assessment.  I can't help but remember when Obama said he would meet with China, North Korea, and Iran in 2007.  The right wing went nuts.  "How could a president of a democratic nation meet with oppressive, murderous dictators.  That would be a disgrace."

Last edited by Just Fred (6/13/2018 6:53 am)

6/13/2018 7:27 am  #3

If anybody needs their memories refreshed.

Last edited by Goose (6/13/2018 7:27 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/13/2018 12:19 pm  #4

Boy, oh, boy.  I would like to see this splattered all across every news outlet in America.  How about the right-wing's reaction to Obama re-establishing relations with Cuba? I'm sure that would be a treat, too.

6/17/2018 7:52 am  #5

Looks like Korea is soon to be forgotten.
Guess that it was all a misunderstanding.
After all, Kim is a smart, funny guy who loves his people.
Why shouldn't he have nukes?

Board footera