The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2018 4:45 am  #1

The group least likely,,,,,,,,,

The group least likely to think the U.S. has a responsibility to accept refugees? Evangelicals.

In February 2017, as debate raged nationally over President Trump’s decision to curtail immigration to the United States, the conservative Christian Broadcasting Network dipped into the Bible to share what that sacred text said about refugees.

“Treat refugees the way you want to be treated,” it said, quoting Leviticus. “Invite the stranger in” (Matthew) and “Open your door to the traveler” (Job).

The first comment in reply to the article captures the tone of the rest of the feedback the site received: “Shame on CBN for this very poorly written article full of political rhetoric. This is not a Biblical issue.”

At the time, polling from Pew Research Center showed that about 56 percent of Americans believed that the United States had a responsibility to welcome refugees into the country. In the year since, that figure has dropped and is now at a bare majority, 51 percent.

But Pew’s new research includes a fascinating detail: No group agrees less with the idea that the United States has a responsibility to accept refugees than white evangelical Protestants.

Only 25 percent of evangelicals told Pew that they believed the United States has such a responsibility, half the percentage of Catholics who said the same thing and substantially lower than the religiously unaffiliated. In statistical terms, the percentage of evangelicals holding that view was about equal to the percentage of Republicans, 26 percent, given margins of error.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/05/24/the-group-least-likely-to-think-the-u-s-has-a-responsibility-to-accept-refugees-evangelicals/?utm_term=.b38b6073877e

Last edited by Goose (5/25/2018 4:46 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/25/2018 4:48 am  #2

Re: The group least likely,,,,,,,,,

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/25/2018 5:34 am  #3

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/25/2018 6:42 am  #4

Many if not most self-described "evangelicals" brag that they don't need any Creeds, "just the Bible".   They dismiss Creeds as "too formal" or "too Catholic".

Too bad, because they might have a deeper concern for God's Creation if every week they confessed:

I believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty,
maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible....

Life is an Orthros.

5/25/2018 7:02 am  #5

If one looks over the threads in this area, one will note that I have been very hard on evangelicals.
I admit it. The reason I am hard on them is that I believe that American evangelicals have lost their way.
They are not really about the worship of God, or salvation. Evangelicals no longer seem to be a religious group as much as a constituency seeking political power. And They seek the power of the state in order to control the behavior of  people outside their group.

American evangelicalism is not religion based. It is culture based. Protestant Evangelicalism has become about using the Bible as cover to push a white nationalist agenda, with authoritarian overtones.

Last edited by Goose (5/25/2018 7:02 am)

5/25/2018 7:38 pm  #6

The Righteous Empire written by Martin Marty at least 4 decades ago--before the rise of Jerry Falwell, Billy James Hargis, and their ilk--remains the best history of evangelical Protestantism in North America.

The urge to create a utopian society on these shores extends back to the Shakers, Conrad Beisel and the Ephrata Cloisters, and especially to the Puritans of the Massachusetts Bay Colony..

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera