The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/18/2018 2:24 pm  #1

Texas school shooting

10 dead and at least 10 wounded. Time for another round of public figures offering up “thoughts & prayers”, talking about having discussions about how this happened and to “stop this from ever happening again”, appearing on talk shows to say we need to prevent these horrific incidents. There will be a lot of talk and tweets by politicians, but no real root cause analysis, no serious actions, and certainly no restrictions on gun ownership. They will find fault with the school security, the parents of the killer, and the rumors about the killer that nobody reported, but nobody, especially in Texas, will have the guts to put forth reasonable gun laws and enforce them.we are all talk and no action while our children and grandchildren continue to die in schools due to gun violence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-shooting-suspect-opens-fire-143125209.html

5/18/2018 2:45 pm  #2

Re: Texas school shooting

The evidence is irrefutable, the Texas politicians offering “thoughts & prayers” are nothing but hypocrites.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/santa-fe-texas-politicians-apos-173000249.html

5/18/2018 4:44 pm  #3

Some important differences this time (and I'm sure more will emerge)

1)  The shooter used a sawed off shotgun--a totally illegal weapon.

2)  The armed School Resource Officer shot back and suffered serious injuries in his attempt to stop the attack.

3)  The shooter self identifies with the ultra leftist domestic terror group ANTIFA

4)  The shooter also had improvised explosive devices--a true copycat of Columbine.

Life is an Orthros.

5/18/2018 5:11 pm  #4

According to his online posts, the shooter aligned himself with alt-right and neo nazi groups and sentiments.

5/18/2018 5:54 pm  #5

Rongone wrote:

According to his online posts, the shooter aligned himself with alt-right and neo nazi groups and sentiments.

That appears to be the leaning at this time There were a number of fake sites trying to link him with ANTIFA, but they have been pretty much discredited so far. It is really interesting where people go to get their news and those that want to slant it are quick to come up with their own versions which in many of these cases is actually fake information. 

Unfortunately the rush is on to lay political blame to the left or right rather than to find ways to solve this epidemic in our society.  

I am sure there will be a lot more coming out. 

One thing I did read was that he was bullied at one point. Not sure if that was a factor, but it could play into it. 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/18/2018 6:29 pm  #6

The rush on social media and right wing media to describe the shooter in political terms is a testament to the vulgarity of tribal politics and a stain on a once great nation. It totally misses the point

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/19/2018 7:38 am  #7

The shooter self identifies with the ultra leftist domestic terror group ANTIFA  -  Tarnation

According to his online posts, the shooter aligned himself with alt-right and neo nazi groups and sentiments.  -  rongone

I ran a fact-check.  Rongone is right

5/19/2018 8:52 am  #8

I tend to view politics more as a circle than as a linear spectrum.   The extreme alt right (neo Nazis) and extreme left (Antifa) are not polar opposites, especially regarding a willingness to use violent means to obtain their ends.  

Consider Charlottesville.   There were no "good guys".

Life is an Orthros.

5/19/2018 9:11 am  #9

I beg to differ, T. There is no moral equivalence between the nazis who marched in Charlottesville, and those who opposed their evil creed.

I realize that  there has been a concerted effort by the right to brand anybody who opposes Nazis as “antifa”, and To suggest some sort of moral equivalency.

However such is not the case. At Charlottesville you had on one side a collection of white supremacists, Nazis, Neo confederates, militias, and white nationalists. Their agenda was clear, all you had to do was listen to their slogans.

Counter protesters were rather diverse group. Some of them were students and faculty at University of Virginia. Some of them were local towns people. Some  of them were civil rights advocates. Some of them were clergy.  Some  were members of nonecumenical faith based groups. And yes some of them were from more violent organizations.

Many of the people who marched as counter protesters to hate and fascism Marched peacefully, speaking out, singing songs, some even had prayer sessions.

So yes, there were good guys at Charlottesville.

Last edited by Goose (5/19/2018 9:36 am)

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/19/2018 9:38 am  #10

Goose wrote:

I beg to differ, T. There is no moral equivalence between the nazis who marched in Charlottesville, and those who opposed their evil creed.

I realize that there has been a concerted effort by the right to brand anybody who opposes Nazis as “antifa”, and To suggest some sort of moral equivalency.

However such is not the case. At Charlottesville you had on one side a collection of white supremacists, Nazis, Neo confederates, militias, and white nationalists. Their agenda was clear, all you had to do was listen to their slogans.

Counter protesters were rather diverse group. Some of them were students and faculty at University of Virginia. Some of them were local towns people. Some of them were civil rights advocates. Some of them were clergy. Some were members of nonecumenical faith based groups. And yes some of them were from more violent organizations.

Many of the people who marched as counter protesters to hate and fascism Marched peacefully, speaking out, singing songs, some even had prayer sessions.

So yes, there were good guys at Charlottesville.

SOMETIMES it is hard to tell the difference (ie Hatfields vs McCoys) but I at least try to separate those stoking violence vs those reacting to it. 

Last edited by tennyson (5/19/2018 9:39 am)

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

Board footera