The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2018 7:14 am  #1

What are You Guys Smoking in PA?

This school district’s plan to stop shooters: Arming students with a bucket of rocks

One schools superintendent has a novel way to keep his students safe from school shooters: arming them with rocks.

David Helsel, superintendent of a school district in northeast Pennsylvania, explained his plan to a legislative education committee last week, drawing a flurry of local media coverage.

“Every classroom has been equipped with a five-gallon bucket of river stone,” Helsel explained about his Blue Mountain School District in Schuylkill County, northeast of Harrisburg, in a video broadcast by ABC affiliate 16 WNEP. “If an armed intruder attempts to gain entrance into any of our classrooms, they will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks, and they will be stoned.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2018/03/23/this-school-districts-plan-to-stop-shooters-a-bucket-of-rocks-for-students-to-throw-at-them/?utm_term=.a8ced6d11022

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/24/2018 7:15 am  #2

Re: What are You Guys Smoking in PA?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

3/24/2018 7:29 am  #3

Boy, this is nuts. I'm speechless.

3/24/2018 7:45 am  #4

“They will face a classroom full of students armed with rocks, and they will be stoned.”

Who will be stoned . . . The intruder, the students, or Mr. Helsel?

Any way you interpret it, the school sounds like a pretty trippin’ place.

3/24/2018 9:19 am  #5

If I were on the school board and this guy made this presentation, I'd come back with, "Thank you Mr. Helsel for your plan to combat deadly violence in school, now does anyone have a serious solution?  And, incidentally we will begin a search for a new superintendent tomorrow."

3/24/2018 9:52 am  #6

I wonder IF he thought everyone would think this is a good idea ?? 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

3/24/2018 4:43 pm  #7

They found a great source of rocks,,,,,,,,,, from inside the superintendent's head. 

3/24/2018 7:21 pm  #8

The old rules for countering school shooters were "shelter in place".

In other words, become helpless sitting ducks.

The new rules for countering school shooters--being taught to school employees now, to students in the near future are the "Three E's"

E nhance
E scape
E ngage

"Engage" means using any available means to distract or dispose the shooter,,,,it has been suggested that students bring outdated canned goods to the classroom just in case.

This district has taken a different approach.

I'd rather see the shooter ducking rocks than the students be sitting ducks.

Life is an Orthros.

3/24/2018 9:10 pm  #9

Tarnation wrote:

I'd rather see the shooter denied an AR-15 than the students bringing stone age weapons to a 21st century fight.

3/24/2018 10:16 pm  #10

Goose wrote:

Tarnation wrote:

I'd rather see the shooter denied an AR-15 than the students bringing stone age weapons to a 21st century fight.

And I'd rather see a repeal of the Joe Biden-sponsored "Safe Schools Act" which led to the "gun free" aka sitting duck zones so that school staff and properly vetted parents and other visitors with CCWP could provide an adequate defense.

Life is an Orthros.

Board footera