The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2015 4:45 pm  #1

Hummingbirds

I want to put a hummingbird feeder out, but my wife is concerned about bears.

Any thoughts?

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

5/16/2015 5:29 pm  #2

Re: Hummingbirds

Goose wrote:

I want to put a hummingbird feeder out, but my wife is concerned about bears.

Any thoughts?

Well, then DO NOT show her THIS ! 

"Do not confuse motion and progress, A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress"

5/16/2015 6:17 pm  #3

I'd go ahead and hang one.  Just don't hang it next to your house on your deck. 

5/16/2015 6:36 pm  #4

I was given one many years ago but decided against using it for two reasons;

1)  High maintenance.  The sugar/syrup food should be changed at least every other day, every day in  warm weather.

2)  The sugary food will attract bees (no problem) and, as summer progresses, yellow jackets or "ground hornets" as some call them.  They are nasty, aggressive, and can sting multiple times unlike the honeybee.

Life is an Orthros.

5/16/2015 9:20 pm  #5

I tossed my two feeders because they were really bad and I couldn't get them to look cleaner.  It's easier to buy new but I'm still consider that, partly for the same reasons Tarnations gives.  Mine were always covered by ants attracted to that sugary water. I wonder-- is sweetened water really necessary to attract hummingbirds or would they come to the feeders just to drink, regardless of the liquid in them?

5/17/2015 6:18 am  #6

I planted several plants that attract hummers around my patio/deck.  It really works, and you don't get the problems that are associated with artificial feeders.  I've found the 'hot lips' plant works quite well.  I'm not sure of its scientific name (hot lips is obviously a common name for it).  It grows to a height of 4 feet and is visited by hummers every day.  I planted 5 of them with two in a large pot on my deck.  They require very little care, although as they grow, you might want to stake them with a rod of bamboo.

If you have a trellis or high chain-link fence, you could plant cardinal vine seeds.  That works great for me, too.

You don't have to mess with a feeder if you don't want to deal with that to attract the little guys.  They seem most active in the morning and evening, so sitting out on your deck/patio with a glass of chianti around 6 or 7 pm and gazing over the plantings can be quite relaxing.  One word to add ............ you need to be lucky sometimes because if you blink you could miss them.  The little buggers are fast, really fast, and quite territorial.  Sometimes you can watch them dive-bomb eachother which is sort of a hoot to watch, too.

Bottomline:  Visit a nursery, tell someone working there you want to attract hummingbirds and butterflies and let them offer suggestions.  The bonus is you'll be able to surround the place with beautiful color.

Last edited by Just Fred (5/17/2015 6:18 am)

5/17/2015 7:57 am  #7

We find th hummingbirds enjoy the mimosa trees in our yard once they bloom.

6/05/2015 7:07 am  #8

Well, did put a feeder up and have regular visits by hummingbirds.
They seem to actually prefer the flowers that my wife has placed in window boxes and the deck.
Very interesting little critters.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

6/08/2015 8:25 am  #9

I had a hummingbird feeder hanging from a tall shepherd's hook but ants were always climbing the pole and getting in the feeder.  I took some petroleum jelly and put a glob of it around the pole in an area about an inch wide.  The ants don't want to crawl over the petroleum jelly.  It will stay on through rain and heat and won't come off until you wipe it off.   No more ants at my feeder.

6/08/2015 9:14 am  #10

Well, aren't you brilliant!  Super idea and as I posted here previously ants in the feeder were always a problem.  My feeder was also on a shepherd's hook.  I trashed the years-old feeders and bought a new one this year but never got it put up.  Now I will.

Board footera