The New Exchange

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2018 12:46 pm  #1

Super Bowl

The day begins with the Patriots favored by 4.5 points.

But the Eagles are getting most of the love from bettors.

William Hill reports about 85% of the money thus far has been wagered in points spread bets on Philly and about 79% of the money line bets have been placed on the Eagles.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/02/03/super-bowl-2018-fans-placing-1-million-bets-favor-philadelphia-eagles/303909002/

I'm going with the Patriots -4.5.
But, I don't actually bet money because I am really really bad at this.

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/04/2018 1:28 pm  #2

Re: Super Bowl

My heart says, "Fly Eagles Fly!" and a 31-17 victory.  My brain says, "Fred, you are nuts."  I'm going with my heart, anyway. 

2/04/2018 3:06 pm  #3

For me it’s kind of like the 2016 presidential election. I don’t feel good about either candidate/team. I think Eagles fans can become an angry mob with the slightest provocation, and that bothers me. On the other hand, I think the Patriot’s coaching staff and players will go to any lengths to win . . . even cheating is not beyond their scope. Whether it’s true or not it also seems that some of the officials’ calls, especially during critical situations, seem to favor the Patriots. I hope the game will be decided on the field by the players and not the referees.

So, I basically despise the Patriots coaches and players more than I find the Philly fans booing Santa Claus and ridiculously bad behavior as a disgusting example of bad sportsmanship. Therefore I’ll take the lesser of two evils and go with the Clinton Eagles over the Trump Patriots.

I just threw up a little in my mouth.

2/04/2018 4:25 pm  #4

Holy Buzzkill, Rongone!  

We live in a time in which decent and otherwise sensible people are surrendering too easily to the hectoring of morons or extremists. 

2/04/2018 11:01 pm  #5

For me, it is always sweet when the smug and arrogant are given a much needed lesson in humility.

The sacking of the great Teflon-coated Tom Brady and his team's subsequent defeat was pure sugar-coated honey.

Life is an Orthros.

2/05/2018 5:59 am  #6

A very entertaining game. One that is a reminder of why we like the sport so much.
The Eagles certainly rose to the occasion. And Foles was remarkable. Fans couldn't ask for more.
And stripping Brady of that ball in the fourth quarter? I can hear every crusty old football coach in heaven muttering "Defense wins championships".

Conventional wisdom is stating that this is the end of the Belichick-Brady dynasty and Patriot dominance.
Maybe so. Time wipes away everything. We will see. Some will mourn. Some will rejoice.
But, it was a remarkable run. 8 Super Bowl appearances?

Last edited by Goose (2/05/2018 9:44 am)

2/05/2018 8:37 am  #7

Post game buzzkill report:

I get a kick out of Patriots fans complaining about the officials calling the game in favor of the Eagles. Their biggest complaints are:
1) The Ertz TD. The contention is that he didn’t maintain control to the ground, so it should be no catch, no TD.
2) The Clemens TD. His left foot was out of the back of the end zone after he gained control of the ball so it should be no TD.
3) The Foles TD. They contend that the play was run from an illegal formation so it should be no TD.
4) On the last play of the game, the Hail Mary pass to the end zone, fans contend just about every Patriot receiver was interfered with. So the ball should have been placed on the one yard line and one untied play, which would have, of course, resulted in a Patriots TD and a two point conversion. That would have, of course, resulted in a Patriots win in OT.

The reason I find this all laughable is that, if you check the stats, the Eagles were penalized more than the Pats in the game. And if you check history, 9 times out of 10, the Patriots have gotten the benefit of the doubt from officials in borderline calls. Pats fans are in shock about losing Super Bowl LII and need someone to blame. The game was won by the Eagles offense and the one defensive play that caused the Brady fumble. So, get over it Patriots fans . . . You lost! Time to move on with your lives.

Overall, from my perspective, it was a great game to watch, and I enjoyed the fact that Foles got MVP.

Oh yeah, and the raucous Philly fans didn’t disappoint either as they went crazy wrecking traffic signs and signals, overturning cars, breaking windows, and setting off flares in the middle of crowds in downtown Philly. Stay classy Philly.

2/05/2018 10:13 am  #8

Hey, Patriot fans!  Every one of those TD's was reviewed via video and confirmed.  Secondly, and I know you may find this hard to believe, but sometimes the other team might be better than you on any given day.  Geez.

2/05/2018 10:40 am  #9

I cannot believe that the refs spent so much time reviewing the Ertz TD. The guy caught the ball, took three full steps, and then the ball broke the plane of the goal line.
Obviously it was a TD.

2/05/2018 2:01 pm  #10

Wow, I was very wrong about this game. Thought the Patriots would win. Didn't think so many points would be scored. What a shootout! While the Eagles and Foles should certainly be the top talking points after their impressive win, I feel like Brady and his 500+ passing yards are being overlooked. Imagine if he completed more than 50% of his passes! And the early-game kicking woes...such an unusual start, it really set the table for an entertaining game.

As for the "questionable" calls - I've got to say, it was refreshing to see the Eagles get the calls, and I think they were right. Ertz was a runner and broke the plan of the goal line. Foles' catch in the endzone was just a mirror of a play Detroit ran in week 17 against Green Bay, which netted the exact same result. Clement's score was the only one that I thought could go either way, but I tend to support "backyard football" rules so I was satisfied with the call. I'm pretty liberal with what I call a catch.

Soooooooooo.......

Can the Eagles repeat? What the hell do they do with Foles now? And where do Brady & Co. go from here?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Board footera